17 pound bird

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Well, I dragged my feet on getting my turkey and the only one available was 17 lbs. There were smaller frozen ones, but this brand, Honeysuckle White Fresh Young Turkey, has only 3% retained water, etc. I think this is probably going to force me to go with the WSM so I'm thinking about cooking it without the water pan to help make keeping high temps easier. I'm not needed to save the drippings so I'm thinking of just letting them hit the coals. Anyone see a problem with this plan? I could put a drip pan on the bottom grate. I guess I could spatchcock and still do it on the kettle, but my wife is adamantly opposed to spatchcocking mainly for presentation reasons.

You can still kettle cook it and not spatchcock it. While I really like spatching chicken, I don’t have the same feeling about doing that with turkeys, probably the desire for the “Perfect Norman Rockwell” presentation, I don’t know.
Why does the size force you to use the WSM? Do what you will but, I guess I don’t understand why you feel forced.

Timothy, I think it's going to be too tall. I know that's more important than the weight. I may take it out there and just see if it will fit. Cooking on the kettle at high temp is way more idiot proof. I feel like I'm going to be fighting the whole cook to keep my WSM at high temps. It'd probably be easier if I didn't put the gasket kit and cajun bandit door on way back when.

I'm cooking a 17/lb bird too, planned on using my 22" kettle, good idea making sure it will fit height wise.
Pretty sure I did a 20/lb a few tears ago on it.
edit, and then again maybe I haven't cooked a 20/lb one on it, can't find reference to it in my posts.

Last edited:
Im picking up a 20 LB fresh bird today. Still haven't figured out how im gonna cook it. I do have a 26" kettle with an extension ring for it. Originally I was thinking spatchcock- Now im second guessing. I oly have a 18" WSM I do have a Gasser too. Thoughts??

I've done several turkeys on my WSM and had great results every time. I've never even attempted to use my kettle as it worked so well and easy on the WSM.

I put about a 1/2 chimney unlit coals on the bottom of the grate, a whole chimney on top of those and about another 1/2 chimney unlit on top. All vents wide open, empty water pan and prop the door open just slightly. Works perfectly for me.

Dustin this is the perfect opportunity for you to get a 26er, and it was your wife's idea. I only break out the big girl a few times a year, Thanksgiving being one of those. Plenty of room and my wife says it's the best turkey she's ever had.

Dustin, take the lid from the WSM and use it on the kettle, problem solved if your bird is too big.
Biggest bird I did on my OTG was a 22# and that barely touched the stock lid, It's more about the size of the breast then actual weight.

Tim

Tried mine on the Performer for fit, it's actually close to 18 lbs., and seemed to have plenty of clearance.
Glad i did, it's a fresh Butterball from Costco and it was leaking a little onto the bottom shelf.

Timothy, I think it's going to be too tall. I know that's more important than the weight. I may take it out there and just see if it will fit. Cooking on the kettle at high temp is way more idiot proof. I feel like I'm going to be fighting the whole cook to keep my WSM at high temps. It'd probably be easier if I didn't put the gasket kit and cajun bandit door on way back when.

I’ve done 20 pounders and they have fit nicely but, I do understand that they are NOT all alike, there is always variance.
If its too tight there have been a couple of great ideas, I especially like the very simple one of “use the WSM lid”!
My first thought would be use the rotini collar, or get the 26!
Have a great time, I made up my brandy, maple, Meyer lemon brine last night, well, the concentrated part which I will cut with more water when I get it into the drink.

Dustin this is the perfect opportunity for you to get a 26er, and it was your wife's idea. I only break out the big girl a few times a year, Thanksgiving being one of those. Plenty of room and my wife says it's the best turkey she's ever had.

I'd love to have a 26er. I'll see what she says!

I have done them on a standard kettle up to 18lbs. All you need to do is place your palm on the breast bone and press down to snap it. It wont be noticeable to your guests but it will gain you a couple inches of clearance.

Well, I last minute decided to go with 22.5 wsm without the water pan. Why do I intentionally go with something I've never done before just to make things more hectic?

I was feeling a bit that way going with the ceramic, until i got this message from a friend, their 25 year old freezer shot craps:
"when I fire up the grill to cook turkeys, I'll be grillin ribs, pork steaks and what ever else is in there. Going to be a lot bigger feast than originally planned."
His grill is a Weber 22" OTG.

Well, I know people cook them in pit barrels and UDSs all the time. The drippings are throwing up a lot of smoke. This will either be awesome or a disaster

Got it going, barely fits height wise.
Drip pan with water, apples, and celery, not for gravy or anything else just thought it might add a little flavor.

Well it looked a little scary because the smoke from the drippings was heavy the whole time, but it wound up tasting great. The smoke was probably mostly steam.

Good to hear that Dustin!
The main guy on the kamado-guru forum says that's how he cooks them, nothing between fire and bird, and the white smoke isn't bad smoke.

My bird was getting done too fast at 350, so I've dropped it down to 250.

Back