It’s Getting to Smell a Lot Like Christmas

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I know when the holidays are getting close. The house smells of fresh baked pumpkin bread, cardamom bread and English muffin bread. Next it will be the wonderful aroma of dozens and dozens of fresh baked cookies.
Yesterday Barb made twelve loaves of pumpkin bread and eight loaves of cardamom bread and two loves of English muffin bread. She made the English muffin bread on the E320 gasser because the inside oven was in use all day with the cardamom and pumpkin bread.

Pumpkin
45013164675_202a40d6d8_z.jpg
[/url]100_4175 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

cardamom
44109497670_b9c3750ec5_z.jpg
[/url]100_4227 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Muffin
44109496100_741ccfb9c0_z.jpg
[/url]100_4228 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Have a great weekend.

Dang, that's a lot of bread. That cardamom looks amazing. Bet it smells good in there.

Ok, that does it! I have got to get back to Arizona and meet you Dahl’s! Do you have relatives around here? There is a Dennis Dahl who is a fantastic woodworker (and guitar player) who lives here.

No Timothy, we don't have any relatives there. If you do get to Arizona please call, your always welcome.

Last edited:
I know that represents a lot of work. You must have a double oven. Looks outstanding Barb. Especially am interested in the Cardamom Bread.

MMMM!!! They all look good, but its hard to beat a toasted slice of English muffin bread with a slice of Canadian bacon and a runny yoke egg!

Barb you are one serious bread baker, and by your photos a very good one also, i could slam down one of those pumpkin loafs all by myself.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Here is the Cardamom Bread Recipe hope you like it. Enjoy
1 package active dry yeast
2 ¾ to 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
¾ Tsp. Ground Cardamom
4 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/3 cup sugar
½ Tsp. salt
¾ cup milk
Cinnamon to sprinkle
In large mixing bowl combine yeast, ¾ cup of the flour and the cardamom. Heat together milk, butter or margarine, sugar and salt just till warm, stirring occasionally to melt butter. Add to dry mixture in mixing bowl, add egg beat at low speed with electric mixer for ½ minute, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. By hand or mix or mix stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough, turn out onto lightly floured surface knead till smooth and elastic 5 to 8 minutes.
(I let my mixer do all the work, it’s a big kitchen aid one) Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface cover, let rise till double about 1 ¼ hrs.
Punch down turn out onto lightly floured surface and divide dough in thirds, form into balls. Let rest 10 minutes. Roll each ball to a 16-18 inch long rope, then line up the 3 ropes 1 inch apart on greased baking sheet, braid loosely beginning in the middle and working towards the ends. Pinch ends together and tuck under, I cut it in half and pinch those two ends together. Cover let rise about 40 minutes till almost double. Brush with either egg and water mixed or milk then sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake in moderate oven 375 for 20 minutes then check.
When done cut and with some butter its fantastic. You can also reheat in microwave if there is any left!!
Both the Pumpkin bread and the Cardamom bread freeze real well. I’ve taken it out after 6 months and it’s just like it came out of the oven.
Hope you like it.

Last edited:
How many hours to drive from Kalamazoo to Prescott?!!
Thank you Barb, the recipe does not look too daunting.
One loaf per recipe!?

Last edited:
How many hours to drive from Kalamazoo to Prescott?!!
Thank you Barb, the recipe does not look too daunting.
One loaf per recipe!?
Yes, one loaf and like I said I cut it in half before the last rest time. If you have any other questions just let me know. Thanks Barb

Back