Spatchcock Big Bird...

John M

TVWBB Member
Hey guy's, I got a question. I'm going to do a spatchcock turkey on a WSM 18.5 and was wondering if it's ok to do two separate sides of the bird instead of splitting it and keeping it one solid piece?? Also do I need to brine it as a whole bird then split it or do I even need to brine it? What finishing temps am I looking for in a split bird? Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all...

I don't think it matters if it's just spatchcocked, quartered, or any other way to break it down flat. It'll cook faster & more evenly. About the only way I'll cook a whole bird is deep frying. Roasting, smoking, etc. all get spatchcocked or quartered.

As far as brining, I'm not sure it'll make all that much difference, the brine should fill the cavity on a whole bird. A split bird will take a smaller brining vessel.

Brining is not related to splitting the turkey. You either brining it, salt it, or do neither. You can do these before or after splitting. If you're using an injected turkey like Butterball, you've already go some enhancement in the meat as-is, but you can brine those turkeys if you want. Finishing temp is the same internal temp whether whole or split.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/turkeyselect.html#timetemp

After brining the bird how long does it need to air dry? Air dry in the fridge or counter at room temp? Always at the last minute...

I’ve never air dried after brining a turkey. I just rinse it off, pat dry with paper towels, and put it in the oven.

Mine’s air drying even as we speak. Well, type anyway. I pulled it from the brine about midnight, I’m lighting the fire in about an hour! Fireplace is crackling, house smells wonderful!
The menu:
Meyer lemon, brandy brined turkey
Brioche chestnut dressing
Rosemary butternut squash
Creamed pearl onions
Brussels sprouts
Mashed potatoes
Mocha Torte from the wonderful Dutch patisserie down the street
Pumpkin pie
Cocktail hour (of course)

Back