316 Stainless steel parts for Genesis Silver C.

Adam Harrison

Has anyone approached Dave Santana about fabricating 316SS grease pans, drip/catch pans and/or frames for a Genesis Silver C with any success? Some time ago, I wrote him to ask about fabricating a 316 SS frame for my Genesis Silver C and he never responded. I am pleased with the quality of his flavorizer bars and grates and would like to see him expand his inventory.

Honestly, if you want a SS frame then look for an 05 Platinum B or C as the frames are stainless, not sure if it's 304 or 316 but they seem like a quality grade one that won't rust. As far as the drip pan/grease pan, a stainless one would be nice but not sure how much it would cost. Here's the one I rehabbed...

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74441-Another-05-Genesis-Platinum-C-rehab&highlight=Platinum

And here's another thread on the Platinum (there are a few on the forum)...

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?75453-Genesis-Platinum&highlight=Platinum

Good Luck!

I think Dave is more into the mass production side of things. Doing frames and drip pans probably would not be in his wheel house. It would take a lot of time, money, equipment and effort to develop the frames to exact specs and he would have to sell a ton of them to make up for it all.

The grates are easy. He probably pre-cuts the rods to specific lengths...hundreds at a time. Then, he likely has some kind of jig to hold the rods in perfect alignment while he tack welds them all together. With the pre cut rods, he can probably whip out a Genesis 1000/Silver grate in less than ten minutes.

The drip pans and such would be another issue as those are formed parts and he would need to have access to some serious hydraulic machines to stamp out drip pans out of sheets of stainless.

Yeah he said a lot of the cost of doing my grates was in the work of making the jog to use for welding them up. Still was worth it

Exactly, and that was a fairly easy jig to fabricate. Something for a grill frame would be much more complicated and he would have to do a lot of frames to make it cost effective. And a frame is so much more complicated than just 20 or so steel rods cut to mostly the same length.

Actually I think it would be easy to do some fabrication of frame parts at home DIY. Just buy SS square tubing, an angle grinder with cutoff wheel, an assortment of drill bits and so on and you could easily make one

You are probably right there Larry, but probably just on a case by case basis. One problem I see however is the area under the control panel where the igniter is mounted to and the manifold support rests on would be harder to duplicate than just SS hallow bars.

Yes that's true but those areas do not seem to be susceptible to rust as much as the left side bar, and the lower part of the legs. I would think a little enterprising and judicious making of brackets and such, some cutting and drilling here and there and boom you have a solid SS grill frame in all the areas that count

Back