7 Dollar 1000 for parts and other questions - keep alive for the winter.

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
So I picked this up for parts a few days ago 7 bucks wanted the right trim panel for another project since I don't don't have Joel's skills to make one. Here is what I got and for sure worth 7 bucks.

1) Both grease trays look good for sure can use these again, unlike my 1000 under the large grease tray no worm holes which by the way were not a problem filled those with JB weld used a paint brush with caliper paint using a paint brush holding up well.

2) Has the manifold bracket, the top left z bars with the wood no drop down table, firebox good, burners just need to be cleaned they were replaced holes on the side and stainless just need to be brushed down. Bottom wire shelf just did not take a picture.

3) This has a nat gas manifold but look at the control panel. My 1000 which all the guy did was slap a propane connection and it had fixed stops on it, this one looks like it has the variable valves we will see going to need to take them apart but for sure the panel has different markings.

4) The hood has the dreaded fade which is why I will never buy another black one 2 in a row useless but here is what I am going to do just paint and labor. I intend and many have said it won't work but doing it anyway going to take that lid use my orbital sander rough it up use the 2000 high heat primer and spray it with Blue Caliper Paint this will take months as many coats sanding from 600 to 3000 grit but what the heck its winter.

5) Don't have to worry about getting the bolt out from the frame to the firebox as we lifted it into the Pilot it shifted it was rusted completely out from the inside just pulled it out done.

So in this thread going to figure out how to remake the frame on the 1000 to a 3000 with a burner since now I have one to burn. Could someone give me the exact measurement on a 2000 or 3000 inside to inside on the front I think its 36".

E4pHfIF.jpg

VIcQLST.jpg

hrrQnDY.jpg

SIN8iD6.jpg

VXXcPr1.jpg

bD5bD9P.jpg

Good luck on the rebuild. But, I seriously would reconsider the repainting of the hood. I think you are better off spending the winter looking for a donor lid. Maybe a red head or other color. Can't go wrong with blue either, but tough to find.

If you do still go through with repainting the lid, I will be interested to see the results and to know it holds up after some use.
Good luck,
Bruce

Everyone always says don't paint the lid. And it oftentimes doesn't work. But there is another thread on here where a guy repainted his and it is holding up well a year (or was it 2?) later.

If the lid is toast what do you have to lose?

Just time and paint I guess. Give it a shot. But when it gets all gunked up from grill gunk, I don't suggest you take simple green and steel wool to it.

Brian,
I guess you are going to get a blue head one way or another :D! I agree with the comments that you really don’t have much to lose and since you are willing to be extra patient and do the multi-step process you describe, it will be very interesting to see how it works out for you. Keep us posted with progress pictures!

Yeah I missed the part about painting the hood. Porcelain won't really "rough up" like you think it will. So paint will really not "stick" to it like you think. Try painting a piece of glass to see what I mean. Porcelain is nothing but glass fused to metal. So try your method on an old piece of plain window glass. You'll see pretty much no matter what you do or use it will not stay on there

Brian,
I guess you are going to get a blue head one way or another :D! I agree with the comments that you really don’t have much to lose and since you are willing to be extra patient and do the multi-step process you describe, it will be very interesting to see how it works out for you. Keep us posted with progress pictures!

Well I have 2 toasted black lids so really nothing to lose at the worst I paint it stick it on the deck beside my redhead and pretend its a working grill and just look at the Blue. :)

Larry I am not really expecting stellar results if any and I got work to do on the 1100 so for now this one is being stripped down and going in the parts bin. Even cold down here the last week will be working outside today at least it stopped raining and its supposed to hit the low 60's for the weekend.

I wish I could find that thread where the guy painted his porcelain hood. Everyone on here told him what mistake he has made. He reopened the thread a year or two later saying it was holding up just fine. Pretty funny. I think he repainted his red and it looked really good.

Well, I just cleaned up my blue hood after a year plus of cooking, grilling, smoking on the grill. I used some Sams club grill cleaner and steel wool. I got it mostly cleaned up, but not fully. It is too cold to run water and really clean it up right now, but I couldn't imagine a rattle can pain't job holding up to that kind of cleaning and I don't think I would want to take the time to try to be easier on it when cleaning. Some of that baked on stuff just won't come off with simple green and a soft cloth. If I am wrong, I would really like to know for sure.

Yeah I wouldn't chance it either unless there is a proven method (for repainting a hood). I just find it interesting that it seemed to work well that one time.

My old 1000 has some fade on the top of the porcelain hood. I wouldn't chance repainting it. I've thought about replacing the hood but then the grill was my father's and is kind of a family heirloom. It's really not that noticeable except close up. It doesn't affect the functionality at all and just lends a little character IMO.

Hey Greg, I am with you. I don't see any reason to worry about a little fade on a personal grill. Especially if it has some sentimental value. A coat of paint or a new hood won't make the Ribeyes cook any better.

Okay stripping this down nice day in ATL those damn paddle bolts are a pain but got one out. This from a Chris thread is 1993 since that was the only year the serial number started with KN. This must have been covered the frame piece that attaches to the firebox has literally nothing but some surface rust on it and minor by the way.

Guys need some help anyone who has a 2000 or 3000 frame what is the inside dimensions of the frame as I said before think it is 36".

Everyone always says don't paint the lid. And it oftentimes doesn't work. But there is another thread on here where a guy repainted his and it is holding up well a year (or was it 2?) later.

If the lid is toast what do you have to lose?

Greg, I think this was the post where the guy painted the lid with caliper paint but I saw no further posts from him. Whether it held up or not difficult to know.

Brian I'm not sure that's the one? The one I'm talking about the OP definitely came back with a post a year or 2 later and said his lid paint job was holding up well despite all of us telling him it wouldn't.

Well if anyone finds that thread post it if you don't mind. I have been searching for days no luck course its most likely buried in restore somewhere.

If you google there are options to paint enameled surfaces. It will stick but I also cleaned off paint from hoods of grills I restored. The paint didn't stick that hard and did not withstand the mechanical cleaning. It will come off easily when getting scrubbed. Especially when you want to scrub off soot later on. I personally think it is not worth it. I would keep searching for a donor grill with another hood. Most of the hoods I came across were in good shape although I am in Texas and the sun here can be brutal on these hoods.
I just cleaned up these three over the weekend:
rIzX-vaXs5Ido1kntWwBmgJf7XUhPxdZ54jEcpbGgBAB7x8pTxPqWUk5CvR4aoUmA-5sCZpSqOatjmGm-ATHlIBXJEqjf5AKEB2xPLzeXsrKmjaLISlB_8zLfxZr4aPx0j-ILWV-y0t-0VMxm30Vy0x_QSe16AY4kBibFb_Tw-2kisOmfBFN12HhCQf1eI8vIePapdbOp5WUsHDeDBo7InFHRb5chUymiCWyUZSxtcDt9BKVlEG5CzxkvZQsDIJMhJCXPPdRnK8vfVBNcj2QA124a-tX5_tqc3Z-lRm-4DGdbZeOFz3iaqzwiJBSSJ4bZhUR_fOC5TQRtfbeOxqvo7JAX0Iyvd4Mda3Y_qxlgZRBCdki5lv2bOqFiheueEagIYSZN32XcwmWcBHCpFqgXUv4MJY360XrYv691L-rBJ5_ur-emYkydP9OFNFvDG_-P1H-22Lx_EtxA_XLsPNt5kYnz3b1Si4DAgBSbg1I0Wf74EjZLOW-9k9U6hyZipKgfdGjHYgtrcJiAfF1CwXM0_RKotwPgGC8fO3o3lcBGFn-QP8K51dZQpyqjD3-7YjF0yrXK1MAiqDliopLcj_5-mWsCnsLV-HyALKn0f9kYwy98EJZ4zSBxpG7oZzttMPCbwaZi1L8CEoolA4kF8pVnizb=w1090-h817-no

Back