Cleaning SS Drip Pan on a Genesis

Dan Leighton

TVWBB Pro
I've been working on the stainless drip pan from a 2007 Genesis that I am fixing up for my son. Grill in great shape except for the drip pan which had never been cleaned. First I used a putty knife to get a lot of the loose carbonized stuff off of the grill. Next, I tried Simple Green BBQ cleaner and the putty knife. Got some more off. I then tried a wire brush on my Ryobi drill and after 3 batteries being used, I've hardly made a dent in getting down to steel from the carbon build-up. Any suggestions? I've got a grinder, but I fear that it would create more problems than it will solve.

I am trying to think back to exactly what the drip pans in an E3xx grill are made of. But, if it is stainless steel and that hard to clean up, I would take an angle grinder with a wire wheel brush to it like I do to the cook box and end caps on the lid. If it is just plated steel or porcelain coated steel, then that isn't going to work out so well for you. Make sure it is SS before you take a grinder and wire cup brush to it.

The other thing is, while I understand you wanting to clean it up really nice and shiny, you realize that it is going to get all gunked again the first time he uses it.. For resale, that might be an issue, but for practicality sake, it isn't a big deal and your son probably won't even notice it until after he has used it a bunch of times and by then will have many coatings of his own crud on there.

Bruce:

It is steel, but was a rather dull finish. Just want it to look nice as a Christmas gift. You are absolutely right about it getting crudded up again. My drip pan is nothing to look at. I've even been trying the aluminum foil as a liner to make clean-up easier on mine. The tray under the drip pan only has a few corroded spots on it, but was filled with I'm guessing a molasses based BBQ sauce. Cleaned right up with a few paper towels and putty knife, then blue dawn and hot water followed by a SOS pad. The CI grates turned out well after running them full tilt in my grill and given the wire brush treatment while hot. Next step is to totally disassemble the grill for a good cleaning with simple green. Only possible hang-up might be getting the firebox bolts to release. I did mine a few months ago and had to back the nuts out to the end of the threads and use a bigger hammer to break them free. I hit them first with CRC monkey **** and wonder if the other stuff mentioned on TVWBB is better. Heck, his firebox is straighter than mine! Also, the dark green looks so much better than my black. I'll bet his wife will use it more than he will since she is home more than him. Someday, maybe I'll find a hood and blue doors for my Genesis.

I have taken apart three E3xx grills and don't remember the cookbox bolts to be problematic on any of them. Good luck with the teardown and clean up. I suggest some photos of certain parts and areas before disassembling them so you have something to use in putting it all back together. I did that the first couple times I took one apart and was glad I did.

How does the inside of the under cabinet look? Is it pretty much rust free?

My bolts had a little bit of the aluminum/steel contact issue plus the crud around the bolt heads inside the firebox. This grill is identical to mine except for the color. Cabinet is pristine other than some dust build-up on a little grease. This was a garage queen here in LV, so rust isn't an issue.

Sounds like you got a great Xmas present developing for your son. Good luck with the rehab.

Just a little update on the rehab of the grill for my son. I tried something different today to get the built up crud off of the drip pan and also the cast iron grates. I put all three in my Genesis for about 3 hours at full heat. I opened up the grill and while these items were hot used a wire grill brush to get the crud off. Thank God for my silicone pot holders to turn things. The crud had turned to a powder when scuffed with the brush. Wish I had thought of that before all previous attempts. He is getting the printed out owners manual for Christmas. I have to leave it unassembled to transport it to his house and get him hooked to his bulk propane tank. I just have to reassemble the burners, igniter and manifold to the firebox before transport to save some time.

That is a great idea!

Has anybody tried this for the drip pan on an old Genesis, say a 2000? I'd love to clean out my drip pan like this!

So I’m trying this technique on my spare set of flavorizers. Basically grilling them for a while to make them easier to clean. Let’s see what happens :)

Yah, I have decided to fire up all my rehab grills prior to taking them apart and putting some tin foil over the grates to fully burn off any non-carbonized grease before I pull it all apart and start grinding and scraping. I know there are risks of overheating the cook box doing this, but I will keep a close eye on it.

Yah, I think some people use their grills for a lot of quick cooks and never really get them to full temp for very long and in time, that grease begins to build up and solidify without actually burning off.

I try to burn the crud off the grates prior to each cook. This method worked really well for the drip pan by the way :)

I normally will get my BBQ up to 500 before cooking, and after let it go full heat for 15 minutes. I do have to set my alarm on my phone to remind me to turn it off. I have forgot in the past until my wife asks me what the smell and smokes all about. It does clean up pretty good after that

Yep, I used to clean after but emptied more than one 20 lb tank of propane by accident. And yes, the cleanup is very easy after that.

Back