Anyone cooked without a "seasoning" session first?

RyanS_MN

TVWBB Fan
VWB posted on youtube a while ago about why you don't need to season the WSM for your first cook if its not for competition purposes and the argument is pretty compelling given the coating on WSM vs cheapo smokers. That said i'm just curious if anyone's actually done this themselves. The local grocery store had bogo on ham/turkey (basically buy a pre-sliced ham and get a free 14 lb turkey, but before i throw a 14lb turkey on it, i kinda wanna make sure that this sites suggestion is actually an okay idea.

Welcome here! On all my WSM's and Kettles, the first time I fired them up I also slapped on some meat. I was hungry!

Last edited:
Yup my first smoke was 4 racks of ribs and other than a cursory wipedown I didn't do any seasoning. Ribs still came out great. I had some trouble with temperature but I was still learning how to use it properly, not because it wasn't seasoned.

It's not raw steel, but porcelain coated steel so no seasoning needed other than just firing it up and start cooking.
My first cook right out of the box was Chicago Hot Links ( Moo & Oink ) on the top grate and Pork steaks on the bottom.

Tim

Oh MAAAAAN! I used to drive my Moo and Oink every time I visited my brother, never had time to stop!
Great name for a butcher shop!
It’s where “Slim Brisket and the Smokey Mountain Cookers”. Buy all their grilling meats!
How long did the pork steaks take?

While its nothing like uncoated steel or painted metal smoker, theres still 3 grates, supports, fasteners, etc all with residual oils, etc from processing absorbed into surface of metal. If you add it all up, its a fair amount of surface area. About 2 sq ft in 18" size. Not negligible.

Getting up to about 350- 400 initially does a better job of burning off manufacturing and shipping residue than a normal 225 smoker cook temperature.

Not going to kill you. Not going to ruin food either. But smoker runs way better with gunk sealing door and lid, and getting to know it before actually cooking isnt a bad idea. But if saving 10 lb of charcoal means that much to someone have at it.

Most have some old meat in freezer that can throw on. Still technically ok, but way past prime that wouldnt eat anymore. I had 10 lbs chicken that was 5 yrs old. Cooked it and picked meat for the dogs and cats.

The question is not "can you skip seasoning your smoker" no, you cant. It happens automatically as you cook meat.

You are eating meat you seasoned it with. Theres a difference. Your first couple cooks will still be seasoning it, whether your eating that or not. Up to you.

Can you? Sure.
Should you? Up to you.

I think doing a high temp burn and initial greasy cook is a good way to break in and get to know it. Even if it doesnt smell like burning paint. I dont see a compelling reason not to.

Last edited:

Back