St. Louis Ribs with Grilled Shallots and Gold Potatoes

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Ribs sounded good for Monday's dinner so I picked up some St. Louis Style Spare Ribs. The sides were grill roasted gold potatoes and shallots and some green beans to round things out. Here goes. My last couple of rib cooks have been dry rubbed ribs. Decided to change things up and go with something saucier.... but not yet. Prepped the rack and rubbed it down with Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub.

enhance

Let them roll for about three hours at 225. Here's how they looked at that point.

enhance

At that point I sauced the rack with an ancho cherry sauce that I make, applied a little more rub, dabbed on some clover honey and added some brown sugar. Put the foiled rack on for another 2 hours.

enhance

Got to work on the sides while the ribs finished up. I'd grilled the shallots for around 20 minutes

enhance

Then added the gold potatoes and let it go another 30 minutes.

enhance

I mentioned green beans earlier so full disclosure here. I boiled them on the stove and while that was happening I sauteed some onion and bacon to add to the beans before serving.

enhance

Pulled rack from foil and had planned to let them go another hour unwrapped, but they were just about done so applied more sauce and resumed cook for 30 minutes.

enhance

Sliced up the rack after a brief rest. Got my non-existent smoke ring that I seem to specialize in. :mad:

enhance

Plated it all up!

enhance

These were some of the best ribs I've done. Potatoes and beans worked well too. I had a really fun time with this cook. Not many leftovers either. Thanks for looking everyone!

Love those bones and your plate. Beautiful color on the ribs.

That ancho cherry sauce is intriguing, care to share the recipe?

You have inspired me to cook low and slow ribs again. And will do it if I ever get that organized earlier in the day.

WOW!!!! Cliff that's one outstanding cook. Awesome plate picture, now pass a plate this way please.

Nice looking plate of food Cliff. I doubt you get any complaints about your lack of a smoke ring.

That's the best non-smoke ring I've seen in a long time, Cliff!! :)

Nice cook, my friend. I'm still abstaining from lighting charcoal down here, as we are still down wind from the Camp Fire. Made a nice rib roast in the oven on Wednesday, though. :)

Grill on!!

R

That ancho cherry sauce is intriguing, care to share the recipe?

Here's the recipe Robert.

Ancho-Cherry BBQ Sauce Recipe

2 large dried ancho chilies stemmed and seeded
3/4 cup dried tart cherries
1 1/4 cup a/c vinegar
3/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water
3 Tbsp molasses
2 garlic cloves (minced)
Pinch of ground cloves

Combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the chilies and cherries begin to soften. Next, pour the sauce into a blender or food processor and purée for 15-20 seconds. At that point, if the sauce isn’t as thick as you would like you can put it back on the stove and simmer a bit more until desired consistency. Set aside and use as a basting and finishing sauce for pork or beef ribs.

Back