Wich way?

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
I'm going to be doing a turkey for Thanksgiving but I was wondering wich way to go, and tips for both.
I don't have a rotisserie for the kettle but I do for the Genius.

This bird will be brined either way. Probably about a twelve pound bird, give or take a few pounds.

So, if I use the kettle what would be the ideal setup, and any other tips suggestions. A brief how to.

If I go gas and rotisserie I think I have that figured out for the most part. But any tips and suggestions are apreaceated and welcomed.

Pros and cons for both. Opinions on with way is better. Advice. I don't have the time to do a *DRY run, so it's a one shot deal.

The last time I did a turkey on the grill was a long time ago. Didn't have any complaint's but I seem to remember it was a little dry. I'm hoping the brine will help with that since I didn't brine the last one.

So what do you all think?

This is an oldie, but a goodie. I have used it as is and made some minor alterations, but it's a very good and reliable starting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJfYyw8Cbm8

As the video claims, the brine is key. There are lots of brines and they are mainly liquid and salt. This one with apple juice is pretty good and simple. You can get creative, but the things that work on the kettle are:

-a little smoke wood goes a long way ( I like pecan for wood roasting)
-breast down for an hour or so
-keep the temp around 300
-monitor temp in the breast (and in the thigh if you have a 2nd probe)
-the breast is done at about 155

Lump or briquettes is personal preference. We make gravy the day before from turkey wings since it takes away from drinking time on thanksgiving. I sometimes add some drippings to the gravy for a little flavor boost and to make it look like I know what I'm doing.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you for the reply. I watched that video, along with a couple of others. I was thinking rotisserie on the gas for convenience during an already busy day, but I do really like using coal. And I really don't mind monitoring (babysitting) the temperature. To me that's part of BBQ. Although I still haven't completely made up my mind I do know an apple cider brine is definitely the way I'm going to go this time around.

I have told this time and again.
Probably a couple of hundred turkeys on the kettle in the last forty some years,
Basic indirect method, baskets or back in the day I had rails.
11 minutes per pound.(NOT STUFFED)
Typically, when the chimney is fully involved, fill baskets, place cooking grate, add turkey, cover, relax with an appropriate beverage while doing the rest, it does not get much easier. I did my first one when I was maybe 17, I was nervous, it was so well received I have not done one in an oven since. Carving tips are noted in the “Krispy Skin” thread.
Use the kettle and don’t worry about it one bit!

Back