Practice on a chicken?

AndyC

TVWBB Member
This year I'll be smoking my first turkey.

I'll be using an 18" Smokey Mountain cooker, and plan to use the recipe here: http://virtualweberbullet.com/turkey4.html

I saw the tip about cooking a practice turkey the other day, and it seems like wisdom except...my family doesn't really like turkey that much. We're good for about once per year.

So...I'm wondering if I can go get a chicken and practice with that? Clearly cook time will be different, but I'm curious about temp, what the skin would be like, smoke wood, etc.

Thanks ahead for any advice!

Andy

I think once you smoke a turkey your family will really enjoy it. Chicken is a different bird so no comparison.
Just go for it.

Tim

I think once you smoke a turkey your family will really enjoy it. Chicken is a different bird so no comparison.
Just go for it.

Tim

From your mouth (errr...fingers?) to God's ear, Tim! The other thing I'm nervous on...probably unnecessarily, but...is that the recipe calls for a much smaller turkey than the Mrs. bought. I did already check that it fits the smoker...no issues there. Clearly it will take longer....any other concerns with a bigger bird (20 lbs, ...recipe calls for 12-14).

I just got my WSM in September, and so far it seems pretty idiot proof...but Thanksgiving and all...and naturally we have the daughter's boyfriend's parents over to meet them for the first time. :) Dunno if that's auspicious, but...

Chicken to turkey, is rather like a burger to a standing rib roast.
Trust the method, follow Chris’s advice, you will be just fine.
I would not say that it’s idiot proof but, highly forgiving! Practice will help to eliminate frustration or, increase it!
Ask for opinions and you will have reading material for months!

Last edited:
This year I'll be smoking my first turkey.

I'll be using an 18" Smokey Mountain cooker, and plan to use the recipe here: http://virtualweberbullet.com/turkey4.html

I saw the tip about cooking a practice turkey the other day, and it seems like wisdom except...my family doesn't really like turkey that much. We're good for about once per year.

So...I'm wondering if I can go get a chicken and practice with that? Clearly cook time will be different, but I'm curious about temp, what the skin would be like, smoke wood, etc.

Thanks ahead for any advice!

Andy

I practiced on chickens because they cost a lot less than turkeys. Sure, a chicken not the same as a turkey but you can learn a great deal about brining, applying rubs, injecting seasonings, managing the temperature of the smoker and how to track the temperature of the meat on any poultry. Ideally, you would practice on turkeys but you might not want that much smoked turkey in your freezer or the expense.

Yes Christopher you can learn a lot from doing chickens, no contest, the learning curve is different but, concept, does apply. The mass alone tends to be somewhat daunting but, after you’ve done a few, it won’t cause any worry! Trust me. The more you do, the easier it gets.
Enjoy your holiday!

I really wouldn't worry too much.
I have done turkey just on a weber 22.5.
Ring of charcoal around (well obviously on the charcoal grid, but not under the turkey) the edge of the turkey and start with a couple of lit coals.
Keep lid closed, check after a couple of hours
And even that worked fine. No fancy equipment, no tinkering with vents etc etc

Just give yourself enough time. Because you are cooking at a fairly low temperature, the turkey won't dry out if it's on for an hor longer.
I would advise to brine it. It helps keep it moist.

Having said that: there's no harm in playing around with chickens. Just remember they are fatter and a lot smaller. But you can brine and cook etc etc

Something else: If you buy a frozen turket: It takes days to defrost it in the fridge!!!!

Back