First Smoke on 22" WSM + Meal Prep

J Thompson

First Smoke on 22" WSM + Meal Prep

Finally back on the smoker since moving. Bought a new 22" WSM and broke it in on some chicken and a boneless chuck roast. Roast came out @ 160 an in my opinion was ruined (harsh critic) so it didn't make the meal prep cut and was destroyed by the locals :).

small_1012723257614586440.jpg

small_5397710891603781049.jpg

small_6803433098225045938.jpg

small_754809630105775104.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Been on here since 2012 and it still has me as a new member smh :)

I would rather be new,as when you post cooks like this people think you are master, i love all those plate shots,and the color on that chicken is real envy.
Great job.

Looks good, JT (can I call you JT?) Can you explain the packaging? Is that for your freezer for later? Are you doing some sort of catering? Providing food to shelter? Whatever you are doing, that's a box lunch/dinner I'd tuck into! :)

Your "new" designation is based on post count, not longevity. Just cook more, take pics, and post 'em up, and, presto, you won't be new anymore! :)

R

I would rather be new,as when you post cooks like this people think you are master, i love all those plate shots,and the color on that chicken is real envy.
Great job.

Thanks Kevin! Color on the chicken is pretty consistent now when cooking around 320 with a few chunks of pecan wood. I gave up the low and slow stuff when I cooked in a tournament with Dr. BBQ (Ray Lampe) a few years back. Was completely blown away by the quality of the meat in such a short time.

Looks good, JT (can I call you JT?) Can you explain the packaging? Is that for your freezer for later? Are you doing some sort of catering? Providing food to shelter? Whatever you are doing, that's a box lunch/dinner I'd tuck into! :)

Your "new" designation is based on post count, not longevity. Just cook more, take pics, and post 'em up, and, presto, you won't be new anymore! :)

R

Thanks Rich, JT is one of the many names I go by lol. These are regular meal prep containers you can find on Amazon. These are my meals for the next couple days and on Friday I'll make the next batch.
Link to Meal Prep Containers on Amazon

Not doing any catering yet but I've been asked recently. I tried a few years back when I had the 18" but quickly got to the point where I needed to have a much bigger smoker and the fun of it died out. It would be fun to setup shop @ special events once in a while and clean up though...

That chicken looks awesome! What happened with the chuck roast? 160 seems low for a finishing temp.

I had it on the bottom grate and the chicken on the top. Boneless chuck has to come off @ 135 internal and it'll rise up to about 140 to get it cooked Medium perfectly. As this was the first cook, I didn't account for inaccuracies in the thermometer and simultaneously was adding more and more coal to get the temp to read 310. Well, after three chimeys full and zero movement (w/ an empty water pan) I gave up and let it cook and never checked the temp.

I ignored the relationship between BTUs and temperature. Just because the temperature is right, doesn't mean the food is cooking at the right "rate." I think of it like voltage and current. You can have the proper voltage (temp) but not enough current (BTUs) which is why if you have a ton of coals going, you'll get back up to temp quick after opening the lid and if not, it'll take a lifetime to get it back if at all.

Man that chicken looks delicious. I wouldn't mind having some of those ready plates on hand. Great idea JT.

Back