Greetings from NE Ohio

Andrews S

Hello! I’ve been reading a lot here, trying to get a good understanding before making a purchase. Previously used an electric smoker (charbroil). It has been laid to rest for a few weeks after several short outs and ruined cooks, and it’s time to get on with things.

My electric smoker did well with 3-12 hour “set and forget” cooks (when it didn’t short out). Looks like a 18 WSM may be in my future. What are your recommendations or advice to make this transition as easy and smooth as possible? I read about the Party-Q temp controller - thoughts?
Thanks
Andrew

Welcome to the forum Andrew! Get to know your WSM for awhile before you buy a temp controller. After you get it broken in,
you may find that you don't really need one.

Welcome Andrew! I am also in NE Ohio. I have the 18.5 WSM and love it. I also have a Party Q from BBQ Guru that I use for overnight cooks. One of the great things about the WSM is that it holds temp pretty well. Sometimes when its windy in the winter here, it's also nice to have a temp control device hooked up. The temp control device can be very convenient but isn't required. Let us know which way you go!

WSM is great only real short coming would cold weather cooking the thin skin disepates heat in cold and windy conditions . Other than that it is a great cooker.

Back