Kingsford SteakAger

JBooker

TVWBB Super Fan
Has anybody ordered a Kingsford SteakAger yet?

https://www.kingsford.com/products/kingsford-steakager/

https://www.thesteakager.com/about/choose-your-steak-ager

sc68127-thumb.png

Like AB says it's a unitasker. He went through a whole episode on steaks and how to do an effective job of aging them in your standard chill box. Like him I kind of eschew limited use plug in appliances. Which is why you will not find a bread maker, InstaPot, Electric Deep Fryer, Crock Pot, etc. I don't even have a toaster. We do use a toaster oven but other than food processor, KA Mixer and heavy duty blender that's it for plug ins. I can do everything else with high quality cookware on a stove top or in the oven and or the grill(s)

i don’t have an instant pot, deep fryer, or many of the plug in units but, I do like my crock pot and multi crock pot for serving a burrito bar or large quantities of appetizers. Waffle maker, Coffee grinder, coffeemaker, large and small food processor, KA mixer garbage disposal, garage door opener, electric drill, computer, iPad, hardline telephone, TV, radios many of which really are unitaskers but, given the caliber of product that some of these can render I’m not the least bit concerned about them only having one purpose. They are tools and many tools only have one function, I understand AB’s point but sometimes the superior tool may only do one thing but it does it better.

Well, I'm not at a place in my life where I'd need that much room to dry age beef, but I could see having one of the smaller models. I couldn't afford 4 giant rib roasts in the first place.

As @LMichaels said... you can dry age in your own fridge. The better part of 20 years ago, my g/f asked me to make Christmas dinner for her family. I picked up the prime rib roast well in advance, and dry aged it in the bottom of her fridge. I got politely asked to keep making Christmas dinner for a number of years.

Unless you're going to load a SteakAger up, there's little reason for home use. That product doesn't have me as a target market. If I'm going to dedicate that much floor space, it's far more likely to be for a lager-ator (I'm not set up for cold fermentation, only ale temperatures.)

How do you guys control humidity in your fridge when dry ageing? I believe that is all the smallest one does. When I have herd of guys doing it in the fridge it involved wrapping and re wrapping the cut of meat in a clean cotton cloth / cheese cloth.

Dry aging is not for everyone. I dry age whole ribeye roasts vertically in a dorm size refrigerator. I have a computer fan to circulate the air and an UV light to kill germs. Humidity control for one roast is not critical as once the outer layer dries the humidity doesn’t matter. I started with 3 rib roasts horizontally and am now doing whole roasts vertically. My family likes the tenderness dry aging produces. You cannot dry age individual steaks, as meat ages the outer layer dries out and has to be cut off. There will be little meat left after it is cut off.

The Kingsford SteakAger is interesting. The different sizes looks like they want to meet everyone’s need. They have air circulation and UV light. They say they remove the moisture (as all refrigerators do), but it is not humidity control. Prices are high but not outrageous - https://www.thesteakager.com/shop

With a little ingenuity you can dry age for less. I am sure the will sell some of them. If not I’ll keep an eye out for the large one when the go on sale. If this thread continues, I’ll post some links for diy dry aging.
Russell

The “Original SteakAger” was a device you put in the bottom of your fridge to dry age. It seems like Kingsford bought/combined with them and now offer three additional refrigerators for dry ageing meat.

Time will tell if people will be willing to pay the price they are asking. It seems like a good product.
Russell

Back