Finally got the Platypus Fired up and made a few Pizzas.

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Been well over a year since we made pizzas on the kettle pizza. We picked up a platinum kettle to be used as a dedicated pizza cooker. With the four point stance it’s very stable, which is something I really wanted because of the blast furnace heat I didn’t want any surprises’ with a three point stance kettle.
Also the two shelfs come in real handy.
I really forgot how to set up the kettle pizza for cooking pies. I did modify an old grate to use for it by cutting out the back six bars for refueling and cutting both handles off.
I started with a large full chimney with KBB and large chunks of western lump charcoal.
It wouldn’t get over 500 degrees so the first two pizzas took a while, then I remembered I used to add wood chunks. Threw about six med chunks of beach wood and that did the trick pegged the gauge. The third one came out much better.
Because these will be frozen for future meals we did the whole thing right after lunch so It was warm and we had plenty of light, instead of stumbling around in the dark.

44858187195_726b074f6c_z.jpg
[/url]100_4180 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

44858186655_4a9b2e6754_z.jpg
[/url]100_4183 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

44858186195_9faa752b6b_z.jpg
[/url]100_4186 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

44858185745_2e354bbe09_z.jpg
[/url]100_4191 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

31899935138_49fc44049b_z.jpg
[/url]100_4194 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

31899934668_8527bc7ce1_z.jpg
[/url]100_4197 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks for looking

Great looking pies!!! His & Hers? Who gets what half?

The one on the peel is a full combo which was Canadian bacon, sausage, pepperoni, pineapple, black olives, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms. The other two are half combo and half pineapple and Canadian bacon which is what I like. What was fun was using our homemade Canadian bacon, pepperoni, sausage, pizza sauce and of course Barb's homemade pizza dough.

What is your method for thawing/reheating your pies?

Robert, we take them out of the freezer and open up the tinfoil and let them thaw 25-30 minutes. Then into a 325 degree pre heated oven for 20-30 minutes depending on how much is on it and the size. Seems to work well for us. We have also just microwaved them frozen, but the oven method although it takes longer the results are better.

Great looking pies Rich. The platypus is a cool grill. There has been one for sale around here for a couple of weeks now and I have considered buying it. I'm wondering if there is a cover available for it.

Great looking pies Rich. The platypus is a cool grill. There has been one for sale around here for a couple of weeks now and I have considered buying it. I'm wondering if there is a cover available for it.

Pat, here's the Weber cover for it, but I wouldn't recommend it at all. I bought a new one for it and it's so stiff in 40 degree weather it takes two of us to get it on and it's already spitting the seams. It's only two months old.
As far as the grill goes we love it, super stable and the shelves are really handy.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002YYP596/tvwb-20

Thanks Rich.

I have found that the new Weber covers work great on grills that have all rounded corners but not so well if there are any sharper corners. My Weber Performer cover, WSM cover and kettle cover are all holding up very well. The one I have on my gasser, which is the same thin material, has a crack where it sits on the right side of the lid.

Your pizzas look delicious Rich, and my neighbor has that same grill and likes it a lot!

Back