Barbecue Clichés

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I was thinking the other day about barbecue clichés out there where the phrases have lost all meaning. Two off the top of my head are "Fall off the bone" and when talking about cookers "Built like a tank". I've people say use "fall off the bone" to talk about brisket for instance. What are some other barbecue or grilling clichés out there that you guys have heard or drive you crazy?

Lots of "fall of the bone" ribs around here. No thanks, I like a little bit of tug for my ribs.

"Don't lift the lid". OK why? > because they say it will increase cooking time.
I say that's a bunch of bs because my WSM's recover very quickly, prolly 10 minutes tops.

Tim

One I remember from "Barbecue Pitmasters" was Myron Mixon saying "Flavor profile" all the time. What the hell is a "flavor profile"? It sounds impressive but it doesn't really mean anything.

One I remember from "Barbecue Pitmasters" was Myron Mixon saying "Flavor profile" all the time. What the hell is a "flavor profile"? It sounds impressive but it doesn't really mean anything.
Seems like it means the same as "flavor". I suppose "flavor" could be generic, referring to whatever flavor it happened to be, whereas "flavor profile" might be meant to refer to the "desired flavor". Bit of a stretch though. Or maybe he's looking at the flavor from the side.

I probably just watch too many of these shows, but every time they ask someone what their "flavor profile" is, and before they answer I'm thinking "Let me guess. Sweet, with a little heat? Did you invent that yourself?" It's always "Sweet, with a little heat".

Last edited:
Probably more info about flavor profile than anyone wants to read.
What is a “Flavor Profile”?

flavor-profile.png

It's always "Sweet, with a little heat".
It's like with the many home remodeling shows. I've heard "ship lap" so many times I want to scream. Not to mention, it looks great in a beach house, but who wants their house in the middle of Texas to look like it's a shack on the South Carolina shoreline? Accent wall? Great. Entire room? Looks like a giant outhouse. And then there's the general hatred of brick. Everybody wants to paint it. Thousands of dollars to lay all that brick and they want to paint over it. Makes no sense to me unless the brick is damaged and too expensive to repair properly.

From looking at the chart, it would seem "flavor profile" is short for "components of flavor and the overall eating experience that impact the experience of consuming this food". About the only thing missing here is "setting" and "dining partners".

"Set it, and forget it."
This one is popular when discussing temp control units, or lately whenever pellet grills are mentioned.
Tim

When I saw the title, I thought about the cliche signs that were posted all around the old Dickies BBQ joints in the Dallas area.

"Don't criticize your wife's judgment, remember she picked you"

"If we put too much meat on your sandwich, please let us know"

"Low and Slow" obviously. It means something kind of specific to us, but in popular usage it could mean cooking anywhere from 200 to 300 degrees. Speaking of Dickie's you'll see "Real Pit Smoked Barbecue" signs on places. That could mean anything wood-fired offsets, to actual brick direct heat pits, all the way to gas fired rotisseries.

The Dickie's outlet I go to has a wood fired smoker in full view behind the counter. Generally pretty decent barbecue, and certainly good for fast food.

Lessee..... cliche' phrases.... my high points have been hit already. That horse is getting beaten.

Thankfully there is such a thing as flavor profiles otherwise judging bbq would become boring....

Thankfully there is such a thing as flavor profiles otherwise judging bbq would become boring....

Bob I'm glad you brought that up. While I'm nowhere near a certified competition judge, I had a chance to judge at a backyard rib throw down my Son did with his old HS foot ball mates. ( mainly I showed up for the beer):)
I was really impressed talking with the guys about what they used for different rubs, sauces, smoke wood and cooking apparatus for a unique flavor profile.
I think the younger guys get it and can teach some of us.

Tim

Is the flavor profile sweet with a little heat with a kiss of smoke?

(Btw, yes I get what people mean by flavor profile. I was mainly poking fun at how overused that phrase is on certain shows and if you look up the word profile it doesn't make much sense in the context.

Last edited:

Back