Gas grill advice and help ID'ing an old Weber gas grill.

David Nord

TVWBB Member
Hi,

Can someone ID the grill below I found on Craigslist? It still works but could use some refurb.

In the market for a gas grill with side burner for two people (i.e. 2-3 burner).

I have a WSM 22" and am coming from an original Kettle I had to gave away in my recent move.

Other options I'm looking at new are Weber Genesis II LX-E240 or Napoleon Rogue 425SB so a refurb could save me several hundred $.

Any opinions appreciated on whether to go new or try to refurb in light of recent changes to Weber gas grill line.

Thanks!

rZLTq7t.jpg

5eGUsBe.jpg

1TYWnMk.jpg

I think that's a Silver C Genesis. They cook very well. It does not appear to be in bad shape either. Strip it down. Invest a little time and effort with GOOD paint and maybe some Eastwood Rust Encapsulator perhaps some good grates and flavorizer bars from Dave AKA RCPlanebuyer and you will have one outstanding grilling machine. Add a rotisserie for those spun meals too

Isn't this the one near Miami that I posted about? I agree with all Larry said, and the price is right. But aren't you in New Jersey?

It looks to be a Genesis Silver C in the 2004-2006 range. If the inside of the cabinet is in good shape, you have a nice find there. What is that rod on the left table all about? It looks like someone drilled a hole in the thermoset table for that rod? If so, I am sure you can get a new table pretty easily. I may have one, but it is packed away in my shed for the winter and don't know how accessible it would be.

There should be a data sticker in/on the grill somewhere. My guess, it would be inside the cabinet and likely on the right side up high. If you find the serial number on that data sticker, you can pinpoint the model and year of manufacture.

I can't believe that didn't jump right out at me! I am betting it was added as an umbrella holder to hold off the Florida sun.

Isn't this the one near Miami that I posted about? I agree with all Larry said, and the price is right. But aren't you in New Jersey?

Correct. Didn't catch your earlier post.

Just moved down to North Lauderdale area from NJ to escape the weather and taxes.

I was using a trusty black original Kettle 22" in NJ for the past 15 years but need to switch over to gas grilling now on account of condo rules.

Just happily discovered that restoring Weber gas grills is an option

David, glad to see moving over to the gas side. And even happier to see you looking at a rehab option vs buying new. I think you will be well rewarded for a little time and effort with a grill that will last for a Loooong time and cook food as well as a $1000 new grill.

I basically have the same one. Replacement parts are plenty out there. Either new or from a cheap used donor grill. Even the floor panel looks solid. Mine was rotten and I replaced it with a wooden floor.
And that pipe on the left side looks funny. I also assume this is for an umbrella. Is it welded to the frame?

Correct. Didn't catch your earlier post.

Just moved down to North Lauderdale area from NJ to escape the weather and taxes.

I was using a trusty black original Kettle 22" in NJ for the past 15 years but need to switch over to gas grilling now on account of condo rules.

Just happily discovered that restoring Weber gas grills is an option

David,

I think that one could be the one. I am sure we can help you with getting a replacement side table. Other than that and probably a few new internals, I think that will be a great platform to start with. I personally really like those last Silvers. They combine much of the solid, straight up design of the first Genesis but offer some modern conveniences with the thermoset tables and the curved handle that saves your knuckles from getting burned!

p.s. Welcome to Florida! I live about 70 miles north of you.

Jon

David,

I personally really like those last Silvers. They combine much of the solid, straight up design of the first Genesis but offer some modern conveniences with the thermoset tables and the curved handle that saves your knuckles from getting burned!

Jon

I agree. They are not as "beautiful" as the more classic ones but great solid work horses. I currently still have a SS hood on mine but I will put the black one back on once I cleaned that. That duraplast handle is way better than the stupid SS handle which you cannot touch with bare hands in Texas heat. Even with the grill off the SS handle gets too hot in the sun.
Get yourself some of these to replace the grates:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07DVM8KFK/tvwb-20
And these are 16" gauge SS flavorizer bars for a decent price:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07DVSXLRB/tvwb-20

It's a 2005 and can be verified by looking at the serial number inside the cabinet on the right-hand side (on the opposite side of where the tank scale is).

2005 models are ~2 inches taller than previous models if you like that sort of thing.

The other option is to go with a classic Genesis "thousand" model, like a 1000, 2000 or 3000. In Florida, as Jon will attest, those panels on the bottom of those grills are really susceptible to rust, where with the old Genesis' there is not a panel like that, so the frame is your battle. However, the frame metal is nice an thick, and repairable with a little effort and some cheap materials.

Do you enjoy doing "handy" type projects?

If so, an older thousand might be worth looking at, since their beauty is their simplicity.

Slainte!

Tim

Back