Game Night Pulled Pork

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I had planned to do this cook this past Saturday, but the winds were too strong to make it an enjoyable experience. Ended up doing it on Sunday and managed to watch a little football too. I picked up an 8.2 pork shoulder a few days ago. Got up Sunday morning at 1:30, got the WSM up to temp (225). Got the roast on right around 2:30 am and let my CyberQ take over while I went back to bed. I did manage to get my sides done on Saturday so I've put a few pictures of them first. Here's the pictures.

First order of business on Saturday was the beans. I was a little nervous, but also really careful due to the winds and the extremely dry conditions that still exist here. I used my SM attachment and got them done. Pintos and a large ham hock.

enhance

After two hours at a very low simmer I added two diced red bell peppers, diced onion and a few cloves of coarsely chopped garlic.

enhance

Beans done in around 4 hours.

enhance

Threw together a small potato salad as well and made some rolls for the sandwiches.

enhance

enhance

Using Minion, got things around 1:45 am.

enhance

The rub was a combination of R Butts R Smokin' Ozark Heat and Malcom Reed's The BBO Rub. The butt was injected with a mixture of apple juice, apple cider vinegar, water, Worcestershire, The BBQ Rub only, maple syrup and butter. Apple and Pecan for smoke.

enhance

Took a peek after around 12 hours. We were going into town and wanted to check charcoal and the water in pan.

enhance

Hit 199 to 200 right after 17 1/2 hours.

enhance

Gave it about a 10 minute rest before wrapping and cooler time.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Plated it up. Added a little SBR's Sweet Golden Mustard Sauce to the sandwiches.

enhance

This was a really fun cook. Fooled around with it for most of the weekend. I was pleased with the pork and the sides. Best part there were lots of left overs! Thanks for looking everyone!

You sure go all out! Worth it, though. Everything looks wonderful. That pulled pork is incredible... it should considering all the love you lavished on it. The sides really make for a beautiful plate.

What a cook Cliff, really outstanding. That has to be one of the nicest pulled pork I've ever seen. With that injection and rubs the taste profile had to be off the charts.

Cliff, you out did yourself again. That is one fantastic pulled pork and the sides WOW!! The combo of the injection and rubs, the taste profile had to be over the top. May have to get Rich to try this one next time we do a PP.

Cliff, that's a fantastic job all the way around! Taking it up a notch making the rolls for your PP sammies, too! Now, if you didn't smoke that hock yourself, then you need to do this cook over after you've done that! ;)

Come on rain!!!!

R

Now, if you didn't smoke that hock yourself, then you need to do this cook over after you've done that! ;)

Come on rain!!!!

R

Nope, the hock is store bought. After seeing Monty's post I intend to fix that!

Oh, what we'd give for rain. I'd settle for a heavy morning dew. Things are so dry and explosive up here. Throw in some nasty winds like yesterday and the area is just a time bomb. I've never wanted a summer to end so badly in my life.

Yea, I haven't considered putting butter into the injection but I most certainly will next time. Food looks absolutely delectable.

Last edited:

Back