Southern Succor / Renowned Mr. Brown Rub?

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
Ever since I first tried this rub, I have had very positive comments about it, but here of late, I am getting feedback from different folks complaining about how hot the meat is (pork butts).

Today, I smoked two butts, and the finished product burned my mouth a bit (and my wife's too). I cut the cayenne pepper by 2/3, and I am wondering if the heat is coming from the black pepper (1/4 cup per butt), or maybe I am using too much rub overall? For what it's worth, the spice recipe for one butt weighs about 150 grams or more. Maybe I should cut back to 100 grams per butt?

Is there another rub here that is just as popular as the Southern Succor rub with less heat?

It is a lot of black pepper, and you've got to like that to like this recipe. Before tinkering with the ratios in the recipe, I'd try applying less rub to each butt and see how you like that.

Will do.

Strange how I never complained about the heat before. Well, maybe a little when using the full amount of cayenne.

I need to break down and visit a BBQ joint and eat someone else's Q for a change.

Have you started using a different brand of one of the ingredients or maybe gotten a new batch?

I like that rub due to it's simplicity and I happen to love black pepper. You might just use black pepper that's less fresh. Freshly cracked pepper will be a lot more pungent. I don't remember it being particularly hot. I think Chris is right though. Try just putting less rub. I think the recipe states that you should have some rub left over for the sop sauce.

The trick with that one would tracking down that hot new mexico chile powder. I've been meaning to try it for a long time, though.

Have you started using a different brand of one of the ingredients or maybe gotten a new batch?

Good question!

Not to my knowledge, although I have been buying ground black pepper in bulk (Tone's) from Sam's Club for at least a year now. I also use Tone's paprika, but I would love to try some genuine Hungarian paprika. (pricey!)

Here's one that I and a whole bunch of other members would recommend ( and it's a sticky) in the rub section.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?32640-A-Butt-Rub-(for-Jane)
Tim

Thanks, Tim!

I'll look into it.

I’ve used the “ Rub for Jane” a few times and I like it. Good one for the rub Arsenal!
I need to get out and have some other treats as well Rusty!

Back