Pizza a few days late

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I missed National Pizza Month in October, but they still tasted good! :)

Pepperoni, fresh mozz and grated whole mozz:

44812160195_4ca8fcacff_k.jpg

Italian sausage, jalapenos, fresh & grated mozz:

44812159305_18eb6202c3_k.jpg

Man is a good home-made pie so much better than ordering out!! :)

Grill on!

R

I think my pizza meter just got kicked into gear. I've got about nine pizza dough balls in the freezer made with your recipe Rich. Have to break out a few here soon!

Isn't every month pizza month?

Quite right, Anne, not too tough to come up with a reason to make pizza!! :)

Those are some gorgeous pies! Some day I'm going to try making my own!

Some day? :) Get 'er done, Dustin!!!

Those pies look wonderful. Great crust and melt. Personal sized?

These were 12" pies. I made four total, and six of us left just a couple of slices behind.

I think my pizza meter just got kicked into gear. I've got about nine pizza dough balls in the freezer made with your recipe Rich. Have to break out a few here soon!

What are you waiting for, Cliff?!?! :)

R

Nice looking pies Rich. You beat us by a couple of days, Barb and I will be making some pies tomorrow to freeze. With the holidays coming we like to have a few for quick meals if we get to busy or tired to make dinner we just pop a fully cooked pizza into the oven for 15 minutes or so.

Nice looking pies Rich. You beat us by a couple of days, Barb and I will be making some pies tomorrow to freeze. With the holidays coming we like to have a few for quick meals if we get to busy or tired to make dinner we just pop a fully cooked pizza into the oven for 15 minutes or so.

That's a great idea, Rich! I have frozen leftover slices in the past, but never just a whole pie. I know my kids would love to pull out one of dad's pies on one of those nights where nobody wants to cook!

R

I've been making a lot of pizza's since I got my little uuni 3 oven.
Like Rich, I also freeze whole pizza's for lunch, don't feel like cooking etc.
I also make a lot of pita bread.....
Made 8 for dinner for some friends the other day and remembered I really like them, so made another 8 yesterday ;)

I've been making a lot of pizza's since I got my little uuni 3 oven.

Anne, my neighbor just got an Uuni 3 gifted to him, and we're planning to break it in together (he's never cooked a pizza!) How do you like yours? Any tips for a beginner? We fired it up the other day just to get a feel for the basics of lighting, fire management, etc., and my first epiphany is the quality of your pellets matters a lot!

Would love to get your thoughts on the oven, and any details you have on cooking with it.

Thanks!

R

I really like mine.
Mine is standing outside for now as the rains haven't started yet, so very easy to keep using it.
And if you get sick of pizza, then try pita bread....

Tips:
Stay with the uuni when you are cooking as they cook fast!
Start with a little bit of pellets to light and add little bits at the time.
Pre-heat with the chimney cap of and door closed
When the stone is hot enough. launch the pizza. Close the door. Wait about 25 seconds, then give the pizza a quarter turn. Close door, wait 25 seconds, quarter turn etc.
Don't forget to keep adding pellets.
Being with 2 people really helps

I did well, even the first time, but count on some pizza's getting a bit burned. I used a dough with about 60% hydration

My first ever pizza on the uuni:
NOJM8vDm.jpg

The pellets I can get here are not very good (too much soot), so I eventually moved to gas

And I almost forgot: Do not put too many toppings! Minimal is the key

Last edited:
I really like mine.
Mine is standing outside for now as the rains haven't started yet, so very easy to keep using it.
And if you get sick of pizza, then try pita bread....

Tips:
Stay with the uuni when you are cooking as they cook fast!
Start with a little bit of pellets to light and add little bits at the time.
Pre-heat with the chimney cap of and door closed
When the stone is hot enough. launch the pizza. Close the door. Wait about 25 seconds, then give the pizza a quarter turn. Close door, wait 25 seconds, quarter turn etc.
Don't forget to keep adding pellets.
Being with 2 people really helps

I did well, even the first time, but count on some pizza's getting a bit burned. I used a dough with about 60% hydration

My first ever pizza on the uuni:
NOJM8vDm.jpg

The pellets I can get here are not very good (too much soot), so I eventually moved to gas

And I almost forgot: Do not put too many toppings! Minimal is the key

Thanks, Anne!!

Minimalist concept is a good thing to keep in perspective. A fifteen item pizza may sound like a good idea but, the crust often cannot support that much. Personally three to four seems to be about the right number of flavors and as much as a crust can balance.
I’m not saying there are times when a carnivorous delight isn’t fun but, for that, I’ll go see Bruno’s!

Looks super tasty. Whats your setup?

Thanks, Wolgast! I'm using a Kettle Pizza with the top steel accessory. 3/4 of a Weber chimney of lit on top of probably 1-1.5 chimneys worth of unlit in a semi-circle. Toss a couple of small pieces of wood (usually oak) on the fire about 10-15 minutes before cooking. Make sure stone and steel are very well pre-heated before cooking the pies. Deck temp is ~750-800F, though I REALLY need an IR thermometer so I can test that (and get front to back readings since I"m sure it's cooler near the door.

At these temps, with my 50/50 AP/Caputo dough, the pies cook in about 2 minutes, rotating 90 degrees every 30 seconds or so.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

R

Back