Green Top Genesis - Are they rare?

Jim W G Jr

I'm working away on my 1000 LX Redhead, restoring the wood, adding another swing out shelf and having a great time. So far, I have the original Redhead that was $50 and two doners with better frames, tables and more wood.
Now comes along a Black 3 burner with parts that include a green top: https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/app/d/vintage-weber-grill-natural/6735577804.html
$75 and he'll probably be happy to take 1/2 that since Seattle weather is hitting us fast -- think 35mph with rain and so gray all my grills are inside.
Is it worth it for the top?
Thanks and photos of my restoration of the Redhead will be coming along when I can get back to it without rain and cold temps.

The green tops are definitely not as common. If it is in good shape and you can use natural gas, it could make up for some of the shortcomings of this offer. Not that a black class Genesis is anything to knock. Green isn’t as bold as a redhead or a blue lid, but it is a color I personally really like. Good luck and post some pictures for us if you get it.

I'm working away on my 1000 LX Redhead, restoring the wood, adding another swing out shelf and having a great time. So far, I have the original Redhead that was $50 and two doners with better frames, tables and more wood.
Now comes along a Black 3 burner with parts that include a green top: https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/app/d/vintage-weber-grill-natural/6735577804.html
$75 and he'll probably be happy to take 1/2 that since Seattle weather is hitting us fast -- think 35mph with rain and so gray all my grills are inside.
Is it worth it for the top?
Thanks and photos of my restoration of the Redhead will be coming along when I can get back to it without rain and cold temps.

Jim,

Some may think $75.00 is too much but the older Webers like the 1000s are getting harder to come by especially here in Kentucky. I say if you can get some more off of it, go for it. I am like Jon I like the green lids, here is a 2000 I did this summer with a green lid
http://imgur.com/gallery/UUZIZRV

Bobby

Bobby,
Like that green top and love all the wood. :cool: What kind of wood and stain did you use? I recently stained red oak slats a very dark color for my “urban look” Skyline grill. Still needs multi coats of spar. I have enough slats left over for another grill. This time I want to make the wood much lighter along the lines of yours. Looks like a nice blend of the traditional look of Weber wood slats with beautiful wood grain that the cedar I have seen doesn’t offer.

Bobby,
Like that green top and love all the wood. :cool: What kind of wood and stain did you use? I recently stained red oak slats a very dark color for my “urban look” Skyline grill. Still needs multi coats of spar. I have enough slats left over for another grill. This time I want to make the wood much lighter along the lines of yours. Looks like a nice blend of the traditional look of Weber wood slats with beautiful wood grain that the cedar I have seen doesn’t offer.

Jon,

The wood is cedar I picked up from Lowes. I sanded it and put two coats of hand rubbed Teak Oil on it. Did the same with my red head 1000. No spar or urethane just el natural. I don't trust myself to apply the spar or urethane!

Bobby

Bobby,
Wow, you found some with exceptional grain:cool:. Some people prefer the grainless, clear look, but I personally prefer wood like yours. I hope to make one look similar!

Jon

Greens are not as common as reds and blacks here in KC, but I currently have
2 greens. (Hopefully only 1 by the end of the month.) Maroon, gray, and blue
are much harder to find. Any others I am forgetting?

I like that grill but probably wouldn't pay $75 for it. I would offer $50 max and the rotisserie is worth $25 alone if it is complete and in good shape. The grill has been listed for a week. My assumption is the guy is cleaning out the garage for the coming winter and is planning to buy a new grill next spring so he figures there is no reason to store this old piece of junk. I am guessing he would accept an offer right now for $50. Maybe less if you wait a bit longer. He will get tired of banging his car door on it every time he parks in the garage.

Green tops are not very common compared to the reds and blacks in my area. I don't care too much for the color green but if you like it, you should probably grab it.....for $50.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of my green top 1998 genesis 1000 I bought new and restored and converted to a 2000 last year and added a right side flip up. They are fairly rare compared to black and red tops.

36758629936_af6be7c1aa_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN2766 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the information. Rich & Bobby you've got two excellent green tops. I'll make the guy an offer and see what happens.
--Bobby, I'm amazed at the quality of your cedar and the excellent finish.

Well, I got a look at the grill and green top. There are parts that would be worth inventorying but thats it. The green top has rust that is not recoverable. Not surprising here in Seattle. If you leave a grill out not covered you get rust in short order.
Passed on it and continue work on my 1000LX resto. Pics to follow in the coming weeks

Both my brother and BIL have “Mallards” both two burners. I like greenies, they seemed to be popular around here and around Pittsburgh, for some reason. I think I’d kind of like one, sometime.
I’ve got the silver B Blue top and the Genny maroon. A Skyline and, redhead and a mallard would be fun but, I’m too grill rich now for my own good!

I have restored a maroon 2000 (that I made out of a 3000 because I never used the side burner) and it's encouraging to hear that the maroon lids are rare.

That said, part of me still kind of hankers for a red lid to keep in the rafters of the garage, for a little pop.

I have restored a maroon 2000 (that I made out of a 3000 because I never used the side burner) and it's encouraging to hear that the maroon lids are rare.

That said, part of me still kind of hankers for a red lid to keep in the rafters of the garage, for a little pop.

I have been holding a maroon hood since last winter. It was one I posted about back then where the prior owner had spray painted the lid, sides and label with flat black paint:p! When I stripped off the paint and saw that beautiful maroon color I couldn’t believe anybody would do something that awful.

k9w6kh.jpg

34gx4dz.jpg

2zq7621.jpg

If I can get some projects moving this fall, I really want to put that hood onto a nice frame. My one big uncertainty is what to do about the tray slats. I know the gray durawood would match (that is what the grill it was on came with) but I have my heart set on wood. I just can’t come up with a wood type/stain color to go with maroon. Anybody have suggestions?

Last edited:
My one big uncertainty is what to do about the tray slats. I know the gray durawood would match (that is what the grill it was on came with) but I have my heart set on wood. I just can’t come up with a wood type/stain color to go with maroon. Anybody have suggestions?

LOL!! Right in my wheelhouse. I have had the same exact problem for 6 months. I finally came up another rare color and swapped the lids.
I will likely end up with the maroon lid on a Silver B. I think it will go with the gray plastic shelves as well as anything. There just isn't any
real wood color that I have seen that appeals to me with that lid. I also will forgo the red kettle on the logo with that one as well.

I also had a Spirit 700 redhead that I have considered trading the maroon lid with and fabricating a stainless steel side shelf. The maroon
and stainless work great together.

Jon this is me but I think this cedar color would look nice with the Maroon going to try this PPG the next time its a penetrating oil and the small can she shows is like 9 bucks at HD. Gives the wood a little pop.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74...1000-redhead-restoration&highlight=tank+scale

Brian,

Looks like a good possibility for that and other jobs as well. Thanks for posting the link. My oak slats have been a royal pain to sand, stain, and coat 36 slats with 4 coats of McCloskey Man 'O War spar urethane. (Thanks again for that idea, as well:)). All that extra time and effort is worth it for my Skyline but not for flip grills:eek:!

LOL!! Right in my wheelhouse. I have had the same exact problem for 6 months. I finally came up another rare color and swapped the lids.
I will likely end up with the maroon lid on a Silver B. I think it will go with the gray plastic shelves as well as anything. There just isn't any
real wood color that I have seen that appeals to me with that lid. I also will forgo the red kettle on the logo with that one as well.

I also had a Spirit 700 redhead that I have considered trading the maroon lid with and fabricating a stainless steel side shelf. The maroon
and stainless work great together.

Dave,

I have given some thought to trying to make the kettle in the logo a maroon color:cool:!

I might tweak the durawood out on my maroon Genny for cypress to match my “Overperformer” we shall see. Might be really pretty albeit as far from original as possible.
I like the maroon badge idea Jon!
I have a long time until spring...

Back