Brisket Question (Weather related)

Kyle L

So I screwed up. Bought brisket rubbed it down and had everything set up for my first overnight smoke. I forgot to check the weather and right after I put the brisket on my wife runs out and tells me its supposed to pour over night and I have no protection for wind and rain for the smoker. Long story short I pulled the brisket from the smoker (it was maybe in for 10 minutes)and put it in a jumbo ziplock bag and put it in the fridge to smoke it tomorrow night. Any problem with doing this?
Thank you in advance.

I don’t think you will have any serious issues, ten-twenty minutes has barely gotten some chill off. Since you will be able to do it fully tomorrow, I’m not seeing any problem.
Once you get it to proper temperature tomorrow, you should be fine.

I’m no food and drug administration guy but I think you’re OK. Ideally (as the old rule of thumb says) 40*F to 140*F in 4 hours (or less). You basically just went from 40*F to ~41*F in 10 minutes and placed in back in sub 40*F fridge.

By the way, in my experience, high hot brisket cooks in about 4-5 hours and the results are awesome. Unless you’re dead set on pulling an all nighter you might consider it.

I didn't think it would be an issue but figured I would ask. I have done the hot and fast method and wanted to try the night smoke. Really appreciate the input! Thank you very much

Back