If I was king (I mean a Weber design engineer)

Mark B in STL

TVWBB Member
I have accumulated several grills to work on this winter. I will refurb and make a profit in the spring/summer. This gives me a chance to compare different models.

I found something interesting in moving around the Q120 and Q1200 grills. The design of the side handles on the Q1200 makes it difficult to grab on the right side compared to the Q120. With the regulator being on the right side the area for your fingers to wrap under the side handle is very limited on the Q1200 because the handle is made differently. On the Q120 the bottom of the handle is flat giving ample room to for your fingers. This makes carrying the Q120 much more comfortable to hold on to.

In my opinion this is one case where the next generation of a great design suffered in an attempt to make minor cosmetic changes...

I tried switching the handles on the two grills but they are not compatible.

Yea, sometimes simple things are either missed or ignored. Why they put design over function is something you see more and more.

This is something I will have to pay attention to when I get a hold of a Q1200 some time.

I have a 1200 but have not really examined a 120. From a "style" point of view, I do think the 1200, and especially the 2200, have a sleeker more modern look than the models they replaced, but I am not really surprised that form in this case apparently was at the expense of function.

Hopefully someone at Weber will come up with a solution to improve the handle. They usually address what needs to be improved with their products.

One thing I'd for sure change on the Q320 I have is a way to help it move easier. It is actually very hard to move with that permanent cart. It needs wheels or casters of some type on one side. I thought why not a pedal that locks some drop down casters in place, you move it and unlock the pedal the casters fold back up and the grill is held in place again

Back