Thread: Problems with One touch system and igniter

TVWBB Super Fan

Problems with One touch system and igniter

Are these one touch cleaning systems problematic on newer gen grills? My 2016 performer reached the point where I couldnít move the lever despite being thoroughly cleaned and lubed. My 2 platnium one touch grills were 15 years old and the one touch still worked great. I called Weber and they were terrific, sent me a new one touch cleaning system so I am happy but for a super clean 2 year old performer, itís hard for me t9 believe the system became so tight that it eventually seized up

Also, is the igniter on the performer serviceable by replacing the battery? It isnít lighting very well due to the spark not working all the time when I push 5he button, wondering if it is battery related but donít see where 9me can be changed.
    WSM, Green OTP, :Weber 22.5 Kettle, Electric Brinkman Smoker, Q1200, Weber spirit e210

TVWBB Olympian
    One touch systems can get rusted. To prevent issues, I normally take mine apart to clean at least once a year or when in starts to feel out of sorts. As to the igniter it should be obvious if it has a battery. Make sure the little wire is close enough and that the gas holes are open next to the wire.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by George Curtis View Post
    One touch systems can get rusted. To prevent issues, I normally take mine apart to clean at least once a year or when in starts to feel out of sorts. As to the igniter it should be obvious if it has a battery. Make sure the little wire is close enough and that the gas holes are open next to the wire.
    I guess the one touch is not made like it used to be if you either need to disassemble not less than once a year to keep it working bc I never replaced or cleaned any of the systems on multiple old and well used grills.

I don’t see a better compartment on the performer. My genesis has a similar igniter and I can see where the battery goes so this one must be a sealed system, I guess...
    WSM, Green OTP, :Weber 22.5 Kettle, Electric Brinkman Smoker, Q1200, Weber spirit e210

TVWBB Member
    Not sure if the Performer uses an igniter similar to the 2007-2014 Genesis, but I found the AAA battery connection in the bottom of the push button assembly would oxidize just enough to prevent good contact. A old fashioned pencil with an eraser tip works when you put it down the battery hole and spin the pencil. Positive contact on the battery cleans much easier on anything. I actually broke one push button assembly by pushing down too hard before finding the real problem. We are in a dry climate, so I imagine this would be even more of an issue where higher humidity levels are prevalent.