Observations 3 years in

Greg M

TVWBB All-Star
I'm about 3 years into rehabbing 2 older weber genesis and using them extensively over that time. Last weekend I did a deep clean on both grills so I was able to inspect all parts thoroughly.

Weber 1000. This was my father's grill. When I rehabbed this grill I went kind of crazy and pretty much replaced all the parts i could. All of those parts are holding up really well 3 years later. This includes weber parts (igniter, burners, catch pan, slide out bottom, side tray, etc) and the rcplanebuyer flavorizors and grates. In inspecting them I seriously doubt I'll ever Wear out the rcplanebuyer parts. At least not in my lifetime.

The genesis silver A. This grill still had the original igniter and burners. As I was cleaning them the igniter housing crumbled and I noticed the cross over burner is coming apart. So I ordered both. About 20 bucks. This grill has weber stainless replacement flavorizors and Bbqparts ss rod grates. Both of these are holding up very well. I doubt the weber flavorizors last as long as the rcplanebuyer stuff but I'll bet they will last a decade. The bbqparts grates look just as solid as the rcplanebuyer ones.

Seriously the last 3 years have been the most trouble free grilling I've had in 35 years. I also wanted to say that the weber replacement parts I've ordered have performed extremely well.

I hear ya Greg.

Buy a Quality replacement item once and never have to worry about it. This is why I search out the older OEM Weber parts like Drip Pans and Burner Tubes, they are good for Decades.

Jeff

Greg and Jeff,

Very good points and observations. I went for a few of those Amazon drip pans. While they are a relatively cheap and easy fill for a basic flip grill and probably no worse than the current Weber version, they don’t compare to the old Weber OEM ones. I have learned from you that you have to be patient and search carefully, but some of those original parts are still out there.

Also keep in mind that the older genesis grills no mater how many we may restore I'm sure many more are ending up in landfills or scrape yards. Some point in time all the NOS will be gone and aftermarket suppliers will stop making replacement parts due to lack of demand.
With that said I have a set of replacement parts for each of my older gens I intended to keep, burners, grates, flavorizer bars, ignitors and regulators.
On the bright side there seems to be a healthy demand for the older restored Weber grills from what I'm seeing here on the forum which is s good thing.

I am sure the aftermarket will continue to make consumable replacement parts for as long as there is demand

The possibility of replacement parts drying up someday does worry me.

At some point i do plan to do what you've done Rich and keep an extra igniter, catch pan, regulator, etc for each grill. I do think keeping replacements for the rcplanebuyer stuff and probably the Bbqparts grates would be a waste of money. At least in my lifetime.

I agree with everyone above. Most of the consumable parts for the Genesis 1000 and Silver series grills will be made by weber and aftermarket outfits for quite a while yet. There are still a lot of them out there although it is true that the land fills are finding a lot of them these days before us rehabbers can get a hold of them. They will become more scare as the years pass and thus, the demand for replacement parts will fall as well. The suppliers will eventually abandon the older models and concentrate more on the newer models for producing replacement parts.

You know I never really have thought about the day that you won’t be able to get parts for a Genesis 1000 series or Silver. I know the more obscure models will become increasingly difficult to restore, but I guess I have just thought of the basic Genesis as always being around. But that isn’t really realistic I suppose. Maybe we will be fortunate and it will be like the 1957 Chevy for which you can still buy ever single part and even complete running cars made of new parts other than a cowl piece they keep to make it seem like a restoration!

One th8ng for sure, I personally can’t stockpile any more parts.

Back