Getting ahead of the "Bruce Effect"

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
After seeing Dave in KC's really helpful comparison between Dawn Dish Power Dissolver and Sam's Oven, Grill & Fryer Cleaner, I decided that I would load up the next time I had a good reason to go to Sam's (about a 36 mile round trip). Thanks, again, Dave for taking the time to do a Consumer Reports worthy job of comparing these two products. If you didn't see Dave's post, his results showed essentially a tie in performance.

I paid almost $36 on Amazon for two bottles of the Dawn. I may have used points and at the time just really wanted to see if I could get the results others did.

For virtually the identical amount of money I came home today with TWELVE bottles of the Sams product:

JQa6d9N.jpg

I think Sams is big enough that the "Bruce Effect" won't happen as quick compared to Jeff Bezos's high-tech, big brother is watching you shop Amazon world where our club members (including me, sorry:eek:) have actually impacted the prices charged for some grill products! Nevertheless, I stocked up for convenience and for fear I would go back the next time and find it no longer available.

I found the Dawn product to be effective, especially after using the way Jeff recommended. I don't think it is a miracle cure for every situation, but I did well on stainless and I think it would excel on parts covered with gunky moist grease. The really long burned on stuff will still take a grinder/wire cup brush or some other more aggressive measures. I went through a bottle and a half (at $18 a bottle:p) of this stuff pretty quickly. Less than $3 a bottle sounds a lot better!

I will report back on my experiences with the Sam's product when I can get busy restoring again. Unfortunately, my mother in law - who lives with us along with my father in law - has maybe a few days to live. We are dealing with that, so grill projects are on hold for a while. I appreciate your prayers for my father in law who is taking this pretty hard.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your mother in law. That's tough. Definitely sending prayers your way my friend.

Sorry to hear about any relatives in a bad way. Health or otherwise. Good luck and prayers.

I visited my folks last week and they have a Sams CLub membership, so we stopped at the store and I bought a three pack. Problem is, I won't be using it until spring. But, in the mean time, I am looking forward to hearing from you, Jon and others how you use it and how well it works out for you. Having a little help with the lids, end caps and fireboxes would be really nice.

I may grab one bottle out of the three pack to use in the kitchen and around the house for use this winter while I wait for spring to SPRING.

Sorry to hear about your MIL Jon. Wife and her sister recently moved their mom from MN to here in N IL just a couple miles from our house to a nice facility that of all things used to be a Convent :D Well Parkinson's and Dementia are taking their toll. Also the other day went to visit my dad and his brother (my only remaining uncle) and truly a good character. Today is his (uncle) 93rd bday. But it was pretty heart breaking to see the toll time is taking on him so quickly. He was too weak and tired to have our visit at my dad's house. Luckily when we mentioned to him we could pick up pizza and bring it to him he perked up. We were able to have one of his grand sons come by, my cousin from their oldest brother who we lost way too soon about 13 years ago, and myself.
Dad and I went to Lou Malnati's got a couple nice pizzas and we had a very nice time. But time his hitting him like a sledge hammer :( It's no wonder when you look back on his life and what he did. He had body shop way back in the day when they used lead (where the term "lead sled" comes from for you younger folks) and heaven knows how much of that stuff and other toxins he inhaled, he served on an LST in WWII in the heaviest battles in the South Pacific and those ships were filled with asbestos, than went into the cement/terrazzo business as was my grandfather and this was back in the days when concrete was reinforced with asbestos so his lungs and heart are in rapid decline. I too suffer from the effects of a different time due to asbestos being used in brakes and other areas of cars, and being from a time smoking was not looked down on as today.
Anyway Jon I hope that at least she is comfortable and in a "good place" which it sounds like she is

Jon, my prayers also its hard for those left behind. My father passed a few years ago and my mother just turned 90 really don't think she ever got over it.

Greg, Bruce, Larry & Brian,

I am sorry for not getting back to you for all of your kind expressions of prayers and concerns for our family. My mother-in-law is 89. After having a major knee injury two and a half years ago, from which she never recovered due to very brittle bones, her dementia started accelerating. The last year or so has been very sad as she often couldn't recognize her husband of 67 years. (Ironically, she always seemed to know me, her least favorite son-in-law!) She is in the very last stages of passing. Based on the Hospice nurses and our observations maybe a few days. Fortunately, she is not in pain and is just resting in an unconscious state. It looks like she will be able to die at home, peacefully. That was really my main prayer at this point.

The next thing will be to try and help my father-in-law redirect all the energy he has poured into her care these last two years now into other things. My wife and I are very concerned that he will just give up. My own father passed away when I was only 26, so my father-in-law has been like a Dad to me for all these years.

Jon
When my mother was at that stage a few years ago we had the same concern about my dad. He had poured every ounce of his being into caring for her at home, spent nearly every dime he'd accumulated, and wrapped his life around making her comfortable. Oddly like your MIL my mom would look at me sometimes like I had 2 heads. Wondering who I was, yet when she would hear Blake in the house (our little guy her great grand son) she would perk up, and remember him but not us LOL. I knew things were really close though when one day she had no clue who he was but loved seeing him just simply calling him "cutie". Personally I took these stages MUCH harder than her actual passing. Because I knew long before I had lost her. Sadly when she was still lucid I could never get to see her or help dad out. Working for airlines do that to you. Odd shifts, or if you're flight crew as I was for awhile based in a different city, odd call out times, and staying in a crash pad 350 miles from home. I finally decided to hang up my airline slippers cashed in at United and took a job that I thought would free up my time closer to home but turned out to be even MORE stressful on me physically and mentally. By the time I decided to just simply "walk away" she passed away only 4 weeks later.
The only thing I was thankful for is she didn't appear to pass in pain, I knew in my heart also she was at eternal reward so I at least felt a little more at ease. Sadly I never really could "grieve" as I had been all "grieved" out watching her slip away. So I truly know the path you and your family are walking.
My dad however did not "give up" he poured himself into other things. Even having total knee replacement successfully 2 years ago. He still is able to drive, passes his driving tests with flying colors, I try to see him and his brother (my only remaining uncle) on a weekly basis. (this week appears to be a pipe dream since I feel like I am coming down with something I don't want to give them). Though my uncle is really weakening fast and THAT I fear will really give my dad trouble. He is constantly helping him out, sees him every day (they live only a mile from each other) so it's the impending passing of him I fear more.
My hope is your FIL will also find another "focus" for himself. For my dad, it's my uncle, he loves my now 8 yo grandson, and looks forward to my visits every week, he also sees the younger of my 2 sisters a lot. She and her family are only 1.5 miles away.
Anyway he has been keeping his life full and I hope the same will happen for your FIL.
Hoping for all the best for your family

Guys, Thanks so much for your kind words and prayers. We will see this through and do our best to help Dad find renewal in grandchildren and great-grandchildren for whom he has much yet to offer.

Jon
Been a little lite on the forum and just read about your MIL. Barb and I have you and your family in our thoughts and prayers hoping things go as well as possible.

Rich,

Thanks so much. Our family really appreciates that very much. I have shared with my wife how my online friends have expressed their concerns and offered prayers on our behalf.

Back