Melatonin

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I started taking melatonin last week & have been happy with the results. 10mg (3 or 5 mg pills might be better to start with) puts me right to sleep - and I've been waking up earlier, feeling noticeably better in the morning.

I tried it before & it didn't work (years ago, don't remember any details), but now, take a pill and within 15-20 minutes it's yawn city & then sleep town is right around the corner. I took a half dose last Tuesday when I had to get up 4 hours earlier than normal and it didn't work.

The previous week I got something from amazon & it left me feeling hungover (tired & headache all day, and I never get headaches), so I tried this.

Not sure of any dangers - I read that 30mg could be dangerous but then I read something else that said it wasn't dangerous at any dose.

I know it's a hormone but I don't know very much about it other than the half dozen articles/pages I've gone over.

Best sleep aid I've tried so far (tylenol pm, nyquill, unisom)

I am taking 10 mg but I usually (because of allergies) also take a single (1/2 dose) of benadryl so it's hard to tell which is putting my lights out LOL. I cannot take benadryl in the day time. I have terrible times when I am on the tractors doing yard chores. You can hear me sneezing, hacking and coughing over the sound of the engine. Wife once suggested try a benadryl before I go out. So I did. I actually fell asleep on the tractor while it was running and nearly fell off while in motion, blades running and the whole shebang. Funny too, benadryl is the only medication I get relief from. Now with leaves down, all the leaf mold, and such things are hard on me. It doesn't matter if they're burned or mulched. it causes huge issues for me. Actually burning them is easier on me physically but I tend to not do it because it's messier than just mulching them into the grass

Clint,

After taking Ambien for sleep and wanting to stop taking it. A Dr. friend of mine once told me that often a smaller dose of melatonin often works better than a larger dose. He preferred it over prescription drugs due to side possible side effects of prescriptions, it often worked as well for most people. I remember him saying look for 5mg pills. That is what I took and it worked for me. Our mentality is often more is better but I guess that is not always the case. Of course each individual will experience different results. Glad to hear your getting some sleep.

We have the 1mg dose here at our house. I take it when I have a hard time falling asleep. It works wonders for me even at small dose.

Didn't work for me until I tried the time-release Melatonin. That was suggested by a pharmacist friend and made a huge difference.

I can't fall asleep for nothing. Doc has me taking Xanax and it works for me. I would never take anything unless my doc gives the ok.

I am taking 10 mg but I usually (because of allergies) also take a single (1/2 dose) of benadryl so it's hard to tell which is putting my lights out LOL. I cannot take benadryl in the day time. I have terrible times when I am on the tractors doing yard chores. You can hear me sneezing, hacking and coughing over the sound of the engine. Wife once suggested try a benadryl before I go out. So I did. I actually fell asleep on the tractor while it was running and nearly fell off while in motion, blades running and the whole shebang. Funny too, benadryl is the only medication I get relief from. Now with leaves down, all the leaf mold, and such things are hard on me. It doesn't matter if they're burned or mulched. it causes huge issues for me. Actually burning them is easier on me physically but I tend to not do it because it's messier than just mulching them into the grass

Larry, Melatonin can raise blood sugar levels for what it's worth.

I, too, have bad allergy problems when mowing grass and blowing leaves, so I wear an N95 respirator to remedy that. For sinus issues, Zyrtec works well for me, although I only take 1/4 to 1/2 of a 10mg pill at bedtime.

So far blood sugar has been ok though I am reading that a smaller dose can actually work better and the slow dissolve types are better so that's what I have but have gone to the 5mg

Bicycle helps me sleep. I'm now at age 66 and its been the best thing I've found to help my overall health.

I was a walker till I tore my meniscus and my other knee began to wear out. Doc suggesed a bicycle. That was three years ago and I wish I'd found it many years ago. Its easy on the joints and great cardio. I started with 30 minute rides , now up to almost an hour and half on the bike.

Some nights I still wake up deep into the night and have trouble getting back to sleep, but if I ride the bike regularly i fall asleep easily.

I'm going to need snow tires for my bike LOL. Maybe the melatonin is doing a small number on my glucose. Woke up with a 122 reading not bad but about 18 points higher than I have been waking up with. Though as my Dr says I only know about these aberrations because I am looking for them. Whereas "normal" person may have the same thing happen and not know because they're not looking for it. Doc is happy if my fasting glucose is under 150 but I am much happier to see it in the 100 or less range.
Things too have been so crazy at my house I have not had time to get out and hike or bike (though the cold wet weather has not helped either). Now snow is expected Friday :( The two things I hate the worst about winter. Frozen precip and early darkness. Don't mind the cold.
Now also my yard is full of wet leaves and I cannot rake them, blow them, burn them, mulch them due to weather. This year my trees hung on tot he leaves and they stayed green and dropped them all at once with this awful weather

A benadryl will put me out. I don't much problem falling asleep, I seem to have a problem staying asleep. I generally get up to take a leak around 3 in the morning. If I've taken the benadryl I'm right back out, but if I don't it usually takes me an hour. I need to drop some weight. I'm not diabetic but I've had as high as a 106 fasting glucose when my weight was at it's highest (at around 250, i'm at 235 or so now). My A1C has always been normal. I've been trying to cut my carbs for this reason, but carbs are so damn good! I do really well on a low carb diet once I get past the starving rage that I feel the first couple of weeks.

Yeah I need to drop weight. I want to drop more than I need to. I feel I need to drop about 35 to 40 but would really like to drop closer to 60. But I reach this damn plateau and I drop 15 to 20 and than no matter how much I work out, change diet I cannot break through it. Lord help me the Devil wants me fat

I started taking melatonin last week & have been happy with the results. 10mg (3 or 5 mg pills might be better to start with) puts me right to sleep - and I've been waking up earlier, feeling noticeably better in the morning.

I just happen to be reading a book that was recommended reading

TF7vzib.jpg

So I knew this would be of interest to you.

Obviously no book on sleep would be complete without a reference to melatonin. I've taken a pic of a relevant page for you. Be careful what you're taking.

Recent evaluations of OTC melatonin pills content range from 83 LESS than what is claimed on the package to 478% MORE than what is stated.

ceLVLc8.jpg

I skipped it last night & did not sleep well. I'm planning to get some 3mg to try, seems to build up in my system.

I'm going to need snow tires for my bike LOL. Maybe the melatonin is doing a small number on my glucose. Woke up with a 122 reading not bad but about 18 points higher than I have been waking up with. Though as my Dr says I only know about these aberrations because I am looking for them. Whereas "normal" person may have the same thing happen and not know because they're not looking for it. Doc is happy if my fasting glucose is under 150 but I am much happier to see it in the 100 or less range.
Things too have been so crazy at my house I have not had time to get out and hike or bike (though the cold wet weather has not helped either). Now snow is expected Friday :( The two things I hate the worst about winter. Frozen precip and early darkness. Don't mind the cold.
Now also my yard is full of wet leaves and I cannot rake them, blow them, burn them, mulch them due to weather. This year my trees hung on tot he leaves and they stayed green and dropped them all at once with this awful weather

Don't know what your diabetes medicine regimen is, but have you tried Metformin ER (extended release), and / or glimepiride?

Both of these help regulate weight loss, and they do a good job of controlling blood sugar too.

(pardon the hijack, Clint)

I have stage 3 kidney failure thanks to Metformin. Had I not been prescribed that when first diagnosed I would not have such severe kidney damage. It's a known issue with Metformin. I do take Glimeperide though as the Endocrinologist has told me it is a very safe med. And I have a long acting insulin I use called Toujeo so between the small dose of oral and small dose of insulin I'm not too bad off. Kidney numbers are holding up pretty well also. But the damage was done.
Since getting on that regimen in the spring the Dr has cut my oral meds in half dosage wise also

I have stage 3 kidney failure thanks to Metformin. Had I not been prescribed that when first diagnosed I would not have such severe kidney damage. It's a known issue with Metformin. I do take Glimeperide though as the Endocrinologist has told me it is a very safe med. And I have a long acting insulin I use called Toujeo so between the small dose of oral and small dose of insulin I'm not too bad off. Kidney numbers are holding up pretty well also. But the damage was done.
Since getting on that regimen in the spring the Dr has cut my oral meds in half dosage wise also

Ouch!

What was the dosage, and was it regular or the extended release formula? Are you sure it was the metformin that caused your kidney problems?

I don't recall the dosage. But the endocrinologist assured me it is dangerous stuff and put my health in real danger. My friend's dad had the same thing happen almost killed him. While Metformin really does well in lowering A1C it is VERY dangerous and needs to be monitored extremely carefully. Luckily my issue while not rexolved is slowed and stabilized but the damage is real and it's done

Back