Pork Blade Roast smoked at 225 Degrees with Flame Boss controller

Tim Young

Hi Guys,

New guy here, I've been trolling for a while and learning a lot but this is my first post. I have had my smoker WSM 18.5" sense July. I'm smoking my second Pork Roast last night and today. So I have my Flame Boss controller set to 225 degrees, but here is the deal the lid temp is indicating between 200 and 210 and it is taking forever to cook this 10 Lbs roast. I put it on last night at 7pm and after 19 hours it is at 188 degrees. I just raised the pit temp to 275 degrees getting close to dinner time. And I thought it would be ready for lunch!

So am I cooking to low or is there such a thing? Should the lid temp and the Flame Boss controller be closer together? I didn't feel the my prob hit the bone but maybe the meat probe is just next to the bone and but reading accurately?

Anyway I'll go probe it when the meat reaches 190°!

So after I turned up the pit temperature it only took a short while for the meat temperature to come up to 195°. When I probed the meat with my instant read thermometer it was just like butter. 203° away from the bone. I was right in the fact my Flame Boss temperature probe was probably 1/4 to 1/2" from the bone.

Anyway, it turned it great! Every bit as good as what we have had down town. The only thing I can say is I wish it wouldn't have taken 20 hours to cook!

Cook your next one entirely at 275 or so and see if you can tell a difference in taste or quality.
I'm betting not.

Thanks guys, I was thinking 250° next time, especially if I do another over nighter. I can always bump the temp up in the morning.

I like the 225-250 window, don’t have any ATC and probably won’t(I’m CHEEEEEAP) but, if the right deal comes along I might, I see a lot of folks here that have used them then decided it was one more thing to keep track of. Since I have NO aspirations for competition and my big family project is for about twenty annually, I can’t justify the expense, besides, if dinner is late, people can start with dessert! I’m easy.

When I got my first WSM I cooked at 225 but I also ran into one of those extremely long cooks. I now cook at 250 to 275. I won't say the lid temp is unreliable but it's not the temp your meat is subjected to.

You had a good cook and typical for one at 225 so ramping up the temp will decrease the cook time. It takes several cooks before you know how your pit cooks but you'll learn. Keep up the good work.

I cook my Boston Butts as well as ribs at 275 degrees grate temperature using my Smoke remote thermometer. They get done at a reasonable time and only taste WONDERFUL!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back