Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smoking On The WSM With No Heat Diffuser

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D Mark View Post
    No, not flipping at all actually but it doesn't seem like a bad idea. Just be careful not to keep the lid off for too long so the grease doesn't light up.

I cooked two butts this way over the weekend for a pre-Thanksgiving gathering of about 30 people. I have been smoking butts for this gathering for at least 10 years but this is the first time that I did them for this gathering without a pan. Multiple people told me that it was the best bbq I had ever done and several said best they ever had at all.

That settles the debate for me and I won't be using a pan again for butts, ribs, or chicken. I still may try a pizza pan with a bunch of holes drilled in it at some point to see if the lower rack can be usable.
    Thanks! Doing it this weekend!

Hmmm....I've always done Drumsticks and Wings on the top rack of the 18.5 with nothing down to the coals...I find that rack temperature can get to 300+ no problem. It yields a better skin finish and flavor. You can always lower the temp back down by closing the vents on the bottom...I never out water in the pan. I make a foil catch tray with 2 pieces of aluminum foil and a folded over seam...I've never thought to do a butt that way, but you must get a congealed mess of ash and fat (almost a saponification reaction for you chemists...) in the bottom when you are done. But the thought of that meat juice flavoring up with a tasty steam of fat and grease sounds delicious!
    18.5" WSM & Genesis EP-330 Steel Gray & 2017 Red Weber Limited Edition (contest winner )

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123