Roasted Tomato Pasta

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
A wonderful simple robust pasta. Lube a roasting pan with olive oil. Start with six medium ripe tomatoes (cut into wedges) drizzeled with olive oil and roast at 400* for 15-20 min. Next, add red, yellow or orange peppers and roast 10-12 min. Next, add one medium onion and a clove or two of garlic and roast 10-15 min. Season with salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning and red pepper.
In the process of roasting, the tomato wedges transition from the wedges to a soupy consistency to then partially dry out. This is NOT a Sauce in the conventional sense.
Once everything begins to dry and thicken, mix with pasta and enjoy the rich robust dish. Enjoy.

Don't over think=just roast tomatoes and add any anything of interest. Last week I added winter squash. Excellent.
Roasting concentrates the flavors. This is unlike any tomato sauce cooked on the stove. I may never go back!

Sorry no pics. I discovered this by accident. My wife had some overripe tomatoes...the only way I felt I could salvage them was to roast them. On a lark, I went the way of marrying with pasta. Of course I was not the first to do this. If you google it, you'll see many examples.

Steve do you blanch the tomatoes and peel the skins or leave them on?
Bet this would be good over charcoal, ala fire roasted.:)

Tim

Yesterday I did a full roasting pan of this sauce...I added a can of diced tomatoes to increase the volume.
Having grown up eating my mother's slow simmered sauce-I'm shocked how much I enjoy this. Tastes change.

Back