Thread: Hi Heat Performer St. Louis Spares

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar

Hi Heat Performer St. Louis Spares

I do Jim Lampeís baby back high heat recipe on the performer almost exclusively now. But what I wanted to try was St Louis spares using high heat on the performer. Started a search and really didnít find a whole lot.
    So I decided to give it a try using Jimís process and modifying the times to see if it would work.
    I wanted a good quality rack of ribs so Iíve had great luck with Swift Premium St Louis style ribs so I got a package of those.
    I seasoned the ribs with my own rib rub about 10 am and put them in the fridge to blend. At 3:30 pm I fired up the performer with a large fully loaded Weber chimney. Two medium size chunks of apple wood for the smoke.
    I decided to go with about a 20 minute time increase to start as the St. Louis cut is meatier than the BBs.
    Then added 10 minutes to the foiled time and 5 minutes to the indirect time and saucing.

80 minutes indirect
    40 minutes foiled with a half cup of apple cider indirect
    15 minutes out of the foil sauced indirect
    5 minutes rest

Performer ran at about 375-380 dome temp as it was very windy. I did not flip the ribs just kept them bone side down. When I thought they were done I did a probe test and they seemed perfect.
    I used Steve Petroneís great #5 sauce with a tbsp. of Penneyís BBQ 3000 as the bbq sauce.
    Made my version of Cliffís root beer beans in the Winter Weber indoor cooker added a tbsp. of #5 to those and it took the beans to a new level.
    The ribs were perfect, tender and moist and a clean pull off the bone with a light smoky taste. The best weíve ever had.
    Like Jim did I have another package of Swiftís SL ribs in the freezer shortly Iíll do it again to verify I just didnít get lucky.

[IMG]100_4156 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]100_4156 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]100_4158 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG][IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2cwDYRG][img]

[IMG]100_4161 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]100_4163 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]100_4165 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]100_4167 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

[Have a great weekend.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Looks great from here, Rich! Send one of those plates my way, and I'll taste test everything for ya!

R

TVWBB Diamond Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Those ribs look spot on!
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Looks tasty Rich, thanks for sharing. I have some St Louis' spares that I plan on doing Sunday, weather permitting.
    Last edited by Pat G; 11-02-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

Those ribs look super good. The beans, too. Thanks for the detailed notes on the cook.
    18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, (2) 22.5 Performers, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker

Ribs look tasty Rich and really like those beans!
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I was only in Prescott once, I wanted to go back as soon as I passed the limits! NOW, I really want to go back to share a plate of anything with the Dahl’s!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett