Issue: HeaterMeter only works if SD card left inserted in Raspberry Pie, this normal?

Sandy Dameron

Hello All,

I just completed build of HeaterMeter v4.2 using RaspberryPi Zero W. Everything seems to be working. I used a downloaded firmware image and edited the config.txt file on the SD Card for my home network. The heatermeter booted up, displayed the IP address (from my home network DHCP service), and finished with the expected "- No Pit Probe -" being displayed (after adjusting the contrast potentiometer). I successfully connected via WiFi to the web interface and tested basic operation of changing setpoint, opening the lid, etc... all seems to be working correctly.

However, when I remove the SD Card, the unit just displays the "- No Pit Probe-", no IP is ever displayed, no web interface access. I had thought I would be able to remove it and that the image with network configuration would have been written onto the Atmega328 chip.

Is it required to leave the SD card in the RaspberryPi at all times?:confused:

Did I miss something?

The Rpi needs the SD card in at all times. Without the SD card it does not boot up. Basically, the memory is wiped clean everything you turn off its power and the SD card is its brains. Once SD the SD card is installed, you just leave it installed.

The HM can be used without the Pi, But, you would also not have a Wife connection. The Pi is needed for doing data collection, and Internet.

The ATMEGA328 is the microcontrolller that monitors the probes and controls the blower/servo and piezo electric alarm/buzzer. The RasPi communicates with the ATMEGA over the serial connection and is used to monitor/graph the data coming from the HeaterMeter as well as configuring things like probe types, alarms and email/sms alerts. It’s also used to update the HeaterMeter code running on the ATMEGA.

Pulling the SD card out of a running RasPi is never a good idea, regardless of what you’re doing with it. That would be analogous to removing the hard drive from your laptop or desktop while you were using it.

Last edited:
John & Steve, Thanks so much for the info, that helps a lot! So, I think I'm good, everything is working as it should then, I just need to leave the SD card in my RaspberryPi Zero W. You guys are the best, Thanks!

Back