Thread: Comfort food time!

Comfort food time!

Fall is probably my favorite time of year to cook. I have quite a few recipes I'll be pushing out in the next few weeks.

One of my all time favorites is oven fried chicken. When I was a kid my mom made this often with a cut up whole chicken. I'd always get the legs. So whenever I see legs on sale I pick them up. Last week they were $0.88/pound!

This can be done on the grill or smoker too, and I do quite often. This time was just in the oven.

1 whole chicken (parted out) or 8 chicken legs
    1/3 cup Crisco or lard

1/4 cup seasoned flour. I typically season with SPOG and paprika.

Preheat oven and a cast iron pan pan with Crisco to 425

Dredge Chicken with seasoned flour. I place mine in a plastic bag and shake.

Cook for 30 minutes. Flip chicken cook for 15-20 minutes more.

Served with garlic mashed taters and mixed veggies. Yes there is purple in the taters. Had a few purple taters that needed to be used.
    18.5" WSM, 14.5" WSM, (4) Mini-wsms, Mini-Za Oven, Minitisserie, GOSM Big Block, 1967 Casa Q

Looks delicious, Case! Thanks for sharing the recipe.....looks like good Fall grub!

R

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Great colour !
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

I'll be darn if I'm not gonna do this method soon. In most of my adult life I ate the breast, exclusively, but a couple years ago my taste buds suddenly changed and I love legs. Did your own cooking experience begin when you were a kid? You always post awesome dinners.

Nice looking chicken Case. Will give your recipe a try. We picked up a new brand of seasoned flour yesterday and I'll give it a try with chicken. We spent a few days up your way last week. We had to go north to experience our first rain of the season and some nice, chilly weather in the mornings.
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

WOW!!! Case, that chicken looks fantastic. Will give that a try and thanks for the recipe.
    Last edited by Barb D; 10-31-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    2009 Performer Platinum , 1999 Genesis 1000 LX, Mini Smoker, 2009 E320ng, 18.5 , 1993 Smokey Joe, 2011 Performer Deluxe

TVWBB Diamond Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    That looks awesome. It's definitely something I want to try doing!
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Looks great and looks simple, my kind of recipe. Already printed and in the hands of Barb
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."