Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheese

TVWBB Super Fan
    I have got to where I really like mozzarella smoked. It really takes the smoke good and is nice a soft. I buy it at Sams and cut down the width.

TVWBB Pro
    Fresh or aged mozzarella?

An unlikely favorite every cheese smoke I have done has been ColbyJack cheese. No explaining it, but it's the favorite of about 75% of those who try a mix...... go figure.
    Bill
    18.5" WSM, 18.5" Masterbuilt Pro, Platinum gasser

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill J. View Post
    An unlikely favorite every cheese smoke I have done has been ColbyJack cheese. No explaining it, but it's the favorite of about 75% of those who try a mix...... go figure.
    Makes sense. It's fairly soft so should take smoke well and it's mild so the flavor of the cheese won't fight with the smoke. I should pick up a block before my next cheese smoke. I've got enough cheeses lined up that I'll probably have to use both grates, but I'm sure I can find room for a bit more.

TVWBB Pro
    Finally had a day that was cool enough for the cheese and not too cold for the person doing the smoking. I did Gouda, sharp cheddar, medium cheddar, two packages of soft goat cheese, and one package of cream cheese, just because I had it on hand.

I used the A-Maze-N tray. I don't know why, but I have a hell of a time keeping the smoke going. I've been using fine chips from Fruita Wood that they said would work fine in this application. Most of the chips are very small. Not quite saw dust, but not what most people would call chips. I've tried packing it tight. I've tried laying it in as loose as possible. Not great luck either way. I filled the tray and lit both ends this time. One burned out in maybe half an hour. The other did continue to smolder and produce smoke so it wasn't a complete failure.

I'm going to let the cheese rest for a week or so and then give it a try.

TVWBB Diamond Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I used my tin can method and I oversmoked the crap out of my cheese. I'm hoping it mellows out.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Dustin let it mellow out for 2-4 weeks.

Jay: I've had good luck with pellets: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...4ZSBFK/tvwb-20

Dustin - slice it thinner! I've vac-bagged lots of cheese, it keeps well and makes great gifts (((((I should get in on some of this for xmas gifts))))).

What kind of chips/pellets did you use? How long, how'd you smoke it? I've seen some people make the same complaint so you're definitely not alone when it comes to smocking cheese.

TVWBB Diamond Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Clint, I used hickory chips. I lit some lump charcoal in the bottom of coffee can with a ton of holes drilled in the bottom and then threw some chips on top of that. I did it in the WSM this time and smoked it for 2 hours. My problem is I think I got too many chips going at once. I may need to drill some holes in the side of the can for more airflow. At one point I had some pretty heavy smoke going on. That said I tried some after 3 days and it had mellowed quite a bit. I intended to wait a week and couldn't pull that off. I've done this method before but not with such heavy smoke so we'll see. I don't taste quite like creosote, but it's a lot.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12