Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Hot cook on a 14 ?

TVWBB Member
    Thanks! Will start wide open and then calibrate. I think our bird is about 11#.

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelley Brown View Post
    Thanks! Will start wide open and then calibrate. I think our bird is about 11#.
    I started doing them way before I’d ever even thought of using any kind of thermometer. The old lesson was everything wide open would give you about 500 initially so. That’s what I have always done. Full vents, FULL baskets with a few unlit(10 each side) touch it off, clean the grate and load. Don’t peek for the first hour and a half.
    11 lb. bird right about ~2 hours.
    If you have questions about carving, take a look at the “Krispy skin” thread.
    Happy to have helped someone else.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Trial run...A+
    I split a 7.4 lb. bone-in breast in half and put it on at 3.30pm, one on each grate. One full chimney of lump, plus a few pieces to top it off with with 4 small chips of hickory.
    Cook started at 247, went to 300 in 30 minutes, all vents wide open.
    Temp climbed to 347. At 1.5 hours one breast was at 161, the other at 164.
    They had beautiful skin.
    Thanks for all the help and comments.
    Peach Kissed Q

Cool! Nice to hear when things work out.
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Diamond Member
    The Little Weber worked like a champ. No need to adjust...set it and forget it.
    The smoke was perfect for me. For most people...I'll do two small pieces of hickory.
    Juicy as can be. This was a pumped breast as purchased.
    Off the smoker, it was glazed with No.5 Sauce. The thought was the glaze would help it retain moisture and give a hint of that sauce.
    Peach Kissed Q

Steve, the reason I asked how big the turkey was that instead of halving it you could remove the top rack and vertically roast it on the bottom rack.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Pro
    Steve, I'm glad it worked just as you had hoped! To me, a trial run like you did today is worth it if for nothing more than your peace of mind! Sure there will be some variances next time, but you have the hardest parts figured out. Again, glad it worked out!
    Tim
    Weber SG Gold Mini WSM 18.5 WSM Genesis E 320 Q-200:cool '06 Blue Performer

TVWBB Diamond Member
    There is much to learn when doing something for the first time...I do not have much experience with lump-still learning.

Timothy, thanks for the though of vertical roasting-I would not have thought about that.

Last year I did my first spatchcocked turkey on a large green egg. The ability to cook the the whole turkey and not dry out any one part of the bird speaks volumes about spatchcock cooking. Despite not being "whole", they are beautiful birds. they cook quicker as well.
    Peach Kissed Q

I think Timothy has the best solution between space and presentation!
    I’m not a big fan of vertical roasting in general but, in the instance I think it’s a great idea!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12