Seeking flat-bottom non-stick skillet

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
Hi. Does anyone know if it's possible to find a 12" non-stick skillet with a completely flat bottom as opposed to a convex shape? Induction-safe is preferred. Thx!

Hi. Does anyone know if it's possible to find a 12" non-stick skillet with a completely flat bottom as opposed to a convex shape? Induction-safe is preferred. Thx!

I've had one of these for a year (ATK winner) & have started using it a little more than more than my CI skillets. It's starting to show some wear but still works well, probably replace it after another year or two. I've been running it through the dish washer, that seems to make it age a little quicker but I could be wrong about that.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00PCI6XP6/tvwb-20

I paid $39.99

https://www.today.com/food/best-nonstick-skillets-one-mom-loves-pan-oxo-t136468

I also got their 8" back in July, I like that one too but it doesn't get much use.

oxo_good_grips_12_inch_nonstick_skillet_chicken_180828_inline_cbe4e910aa19db47312027e0cc3ef34f.fit-560w.jpg

I'm interested in a skillet like what Clint shared in his first reply but ones that I have found thus far have a raised surface in the interior cooking surface, simulated by the red circle below. The one that Clint has might be constructed with a completely flat surface, and I could use it, but would prefer one that I could use on an induction burner. Thanks for the replies.

I think than what you're referring to is a warped pan. A good pan will stay completely flat. Many of the non stick aluminum pans are "stamped" from sheet metal. They will buckle and warp in the center at the slightest provocation. Look for pans made from cast aluminum. Far more durable and warp resistant

Based on my few purchases and assuming some online reviews are accurate I'm inclined to feel this is part of the design. Several out of box skillets exhibit this; maybe it is necessary for a reason I don't understand.

Based on my few purchases and assuming some online reviews are accurate I'm inclined to feel this is part of the design. Several out of box skillets exhibit this; maybe it is necessary for a reason I don't understand.

I don't think so, but I'm no expert in cookware.

A quick google search turned up some potentially good options @ WS: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-ns1-nonstick-induction-fry-pan-set-of-2/

I bagged on my all-clad NS square, but it held up for at least a couple years and warped on my old coil electric. If it had the higher sides I bet I'd have had fewer complaints.

Why not cast iron?

Fair question. I have and use CI but I'm not expert with its use. In other words, it is not necessarily non-stick for me and, therefore, is not my go-to on a quick weekday dinner cook. And in even more words, others in the household need a true non-stick skillet.

Fair question. I have and use CI but I'm not expert with its use. In other words, it is not necessarily non-stick for me and, therefore, is not my go-to on a quick weekday dinner cook. And in even more words, others in the household need a true non-stick skillet.

Got it. Mine are used daily and are non-stick, for me. I'm just not a fan of chemical coatings but the better half prefers them to CI. Thank goodness she doesn't do much cooking!

A couple years ago the local Costco used to carry a lot of Tramontina commercial cooking gear. The had two-packs of non-stick skillets in 8", 10", and 12". I bought some 8" and 10". I'm fairly certain they have flat bottoms. They are, however, aluminum so may not be induction-compatible. Unfortunately, Costco stopped carrying this stuff a year or so ago.

If you have one near by you might check with a restaurant supply store. They'll usually have basic non-stick skillets at good prices. I can't imagine line cooks putting up with pans that didn't have flat bottoms.

You should see the stuff a line cook puts up with LOL. All Clad has a line of very well made non stick cast aluminum induction capable pans. They're heavier than the stamped pans you normally see and much more solid

I appreciate the continued feedback but do any of you have knowledge as to why it's so difficult (if not impossible) to source a completely inner flat cooking surface in a non-stick pan? If adding, say, 2-3 Tbs of oil it pools around the edges and the mid section is void of cooking oil. Maybe I just don't understand the concept because I'm not a chef.

...do any of you have knowledge as to why it's so difficult (if not impossible) to source a completely inner flat cooking surface in a non-stick pan?
I doubt that any manufacturer considers a perfectly flat bottom to be a requirement. If you've ever watched those "how it's made" shows where they stamp pots and pans out of flat metal discs, I'm sure they're looking for a generally flat bottom, and maybe you're likely to get *more* of a flat bottom in a $150 pan than in a $10 pan. Beyond that, I doubt customers are clambering for perfect flat bottomed pans and the price of producing one might be cost prohibitive.

Perhaps there are some technical reasons why stamping a metal disc into a pan shape results in a slightly domed center...I don't know. Are there any pan manufacturers in the house?!?

Besides...if your cooktop is not perfectly flat, it doesn't matter how flat your pan is. Have you checked your stovetop for level? :D

I'm familiar with the problem. I like to make hashbrowns in a 10" non-stick OXO skillet starting with 2 Tbsp of oil in a cold pan. As the pan heats, the oil inevitably moves toward one side of the pan. Maybe the pan is not flat, and maybe my cook surface is not flat. No worries, I swirl the hot oil around the pan as best I can and quickly add the hashbrowns and proceed with cooking.

Back