Thread: Heatermeter webpage works for a bit and then displays blank page?

TVWBB Member

Heatermeter webpage works for a bit and then displays blank page?

I have a heatermeter 4.2 that had been working for quite a bit but today I fired it up (didnít hook up the fan all if it matters). When I plug it in everything works fine, but when I try going back like 30min later the webpage is just a blank screen with a link that says LuCI - Lua configuration interface. Any ideas? If I pull the power and plug in again it works immediately
    Edit: has been happening all day. Would work for a bit and eventually Iíd go back to the page and it would just display that page. If I click on the link it just sits there and eventually times out. I updated both firmwares to the latest (latest snapshot for avr and v14 for linkmeter) but that didnít seem to help
    Last edited by JasonL; 10-28-2018 at 10:48 AM.

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    It sounds like either the web server on the Pi is crashing, or the Pi itself it crashing, or the wifi is going offline. It is hard to say which of the three, but you can check to see if it is still on the network by trying to ping it when you can't connect. I'd say most likely the wifi is dropping off an not able to reconnect for some reason? Perhaps the adapter is going bad? You can also try to use a different SD card to find out if there's an issue with that causing the Pi to hang.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I had something similar happen 10 days ago. My 4.2 HM with a recent image stayed on the network (responded to IGMP ping packets,) the main page was apparently still updating, but all other services were failing with a text page referring to LUCI issues. It also was responding to SSH login requests, but failing to authenticate. A reboot fixed the issue, and it ran for another 20 hours without any other problems. This was after 10:00 PM, I was more interested in keeping the brisket on smoke than gathering logs.

TVWBB Member
    Thanks. Iíll give your suggestions a shot on diagnosing. It was happening pretty regularly so should be easy to replicate.

TVWBB Member
    I got a new SD card and loaded on a new image and things have been running smoothly. Itís just running inside but the probes are all plugged in / similar to how it was running when I had a lot of issues last week. Hopefully no more issues but only time will tell. Thanks again!

TVWBB Member
    Spoke too soon, will check out the other possibilities when Iím home.

TVWBB Member
    What should I read into it if it wouldnít connect a couple hours ago and when I tried again just now it showed up fine? Previous attempts would show the luci link and eventually get a timeout/no response error. Will the web server auto restart after some time period?

The uptime in the Status tab shows 11hr 30min so whatever that represents did not restart

The ipv4 wan connected time shows 11+ hrs too
    Last edited by JasonL; 11-07-2018 at 04:33 PM.

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Well that's good news that it isn't crashing out for some reason. The web server also doesn't not auto-restart so that means it is running all the time too. Sounds like it is dropping off wifi and eventually coming back. Check your Status -> System Log and see if there are error messages around the times you're getting the drop outs. It should read just "sending renew" and "lease obtained" along with a few "Discarding duplicate update" and errors saying "'net.nf_conntrack_max' is an unknown key" (not really an error). You can also check Status -> Kernel Log and see if there are errors there as well although the time format is in seconds since boot so you'll have to do some math to figure out when is when.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Mayland View Post
    Well that's good news that it isn't crashing out for some reason. The web server also doesn't not auto-restart so that means it is running all the time too. Sounds like it is dropping off wifi and eventually coming back. Check your Status -> System Log and see if there are error messages around the times you're getting the drop outs. It should read just "sending renew" and "lease obtained" along with a few "Discarding duplicate update" and errors saying "'net.nf_conntrack_max' is an unknown key" (not really an error). You can also check Status -> Kernel Log and see if there are errors there as well although the time format is in seconds since boot so you'll have to do some math to figure out when is when.
    thanks. I'm finally back in town and getting to try this out. I went ahead and purchased a new wifi adapter and letting that run, though I guess the smart thing would have been to use the old one and check the logs. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. Will report back my findings when I get some!

-Jason