Thread: Thanks for my Turkey Success (first I've ever cooked!) and a Temp Question

Thanks for my Turkey Success (first I've ever cooked!) and a Temp Question

Hello, everyone!

Thanks to the Virtual Bullet, I was able to cook my first-ever Turkey (I'd never even cooked one in an oven or anything) and I did it on the 22 WSM. I've read the site for awhile and finally was able to get my WSM.

I smoked a 25lb Self-baster and just used EVOO and some Turkey Rub seasoning on it. I put a cheesecloth on top (just soaked with water) for the first 2 hours (saw that on one of the Weber videos) and the skin turned out perfect. The turkey was bought frozen and I didn't brine it.

Here's my temp question:

Surprisingly, that 25 pounder was done in just 4.5 hours. I was able to keep the temp at 325 for 2hrs 45 mins then had to add about 5 fistfuls of charcoal because the temp fell to 300. The temp went back up to 325 for an hour then backed off again to 300 and I just decided to leave it alone.

- To fire the cooker I lit 3/4 a chimney until it was going good then poured that into the charcoal ring. I poured as much charcoal as I could fit on top of that and waited until it was all glowing and greyed over before assembling the cooker.
    -The outside air temp was 50F throughout the cook and the winds were about 7mph for the first hour and calm the rest of the time.
    -The top vent stayed fully open the whole cook
    - I partially closed the bottom vents to bring the temp down at first then left them fully open the rest of the cook

Any tips on how I can maintain 325 degrees without having to add charcoal in the middle of the cook or is that just normal for a 22 WSM for a hotter cook? Thanks to everyone on this website - I am stoked that I was able to make a perfect turkey and I've never cooked one using any method before!

Nate

Last edited by Nate-smokeypilot; 10-27-2018 at 10:05 PM. Reason: to add it was a frozen turkey and no brine

TVWBB Member
    Looks perfect! What smoke wood did you use?

Thank you! I just used one fist-sized chunk of apple since my wife is sensitive to smoke flavor. It actually did perfect with just a hint of smoke and a thin smoke ring.

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    There is only one problem that comes with a first try success like yours Nate, that is the day you have your first “less than” experience!
    Steel yourself for it but,that is a beautiful bird!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

That is definitely my concern...…..that bird was the test for the big day so my fingers are crossed that the weather will be decent and I didn't spend all my luck already!

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Nate, it will be fine.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Nice looking bird Nate. I saw your comment about not brining if that's in your future make sure get a "non enhanced bird" almost all the super market birds are "enhanced" they use a sodium injection to help keep the bird moist. Brining one of those and depending on what the sodium level is you could end up with a bird so salty it's inedible…. Ask me how I know.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Rich, thanks for the tip. I could only find the injected birds where we were shopping and I was on the fence to try brining so I'm glad I didn't if it would get too salty like you mentioned.

In your picture, your dog (yellow one) looks just like my late Libby (she was a yellow lab/hound mix) and she would lay on the bed just like yours is in the picture. Love it!

Nate

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate-smokeypilot View Post
    Rich, thanks for the tip. I could only find the injected birds where we were shopping and I was on the fence to try brining so I'm glad I didn't if it would get too salty like you mentioned.

In your picture, your dog (yellow one) looks just like my late Libby (she was a yellow lab/hound mix) and she would lay on the bed just like yours is in the picture. Love it!

Nate
    Nate, that's Whitney our Golden Retriever/ Husky/ Coyote mix. She is the sweetest dog, loves everybody. She is a rescue from the Navajo Indian reservation in New Mexico.

[IMG]S1031643 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."