Flipping has hopefully begun!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I FINISHED cleaning up and getting ready for sale the TEC Radiant Wave grill I picked up for $100. I spent $50 or so on a new igniter and mechanism. I replaced the wrong one the person who sold it to me had put in with the correct one from TEC. It all looks good, and you can "feel" the charge but no visible spark. I got it to work one time, but too dangerous fooling around. Better to light with a lighter:rolleyes:. I should have saved my $.

ZBz6VJd.jpg

ML4KGFV.jpg

Infrared burner in action:
xFPgvDq.jpg

In any event, I have listed it on OfferUp, Letgo and Craigslist at $500.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/570031453/

https://us.letgo.com/en/i/tec-radia...bq-grill_2b047e22-52ef-4123-bf65-9666cffbdcd0

https://treasure.craigslist.org/hsh/d/tec-radiant-wave-infrared/6734479197.html

It was kind of funny, but annoying...Letgo canceled my ad 3 times. Apparently, my reference to "chinabroil" grills was deemed to be a racial slur (NOT my intention) and my calling the poor grade stainless those grills use "junk" was also deemed offensive. OfferUp doesn't seem as strict, and, of course, you can say ANYTHING on Craigslist!

OFFERS ALREADY!
Got an offer for $500 in ten minutes on Letgo. Since I can't do it tomorrow, prospective buyer agreed to come with a truck on Monday. Meanwhile, a second offer of OfferUp for $400. I told him I already had a full price offer. He raised it to $525! I agreed to hold him as second in line.

Stay tuned! Even my wife was impressed:eek:!

Nice work Jon! I'm thinking that after you wife sees that moola she won't say anything when you pick up other grills :cool:

Atta boy, Jon. Nice work. No fbmp ad? 80% of my sales are going thru there now.
Around here, Letgo and Offerup are not very popular, especially with anything grilling
related. I picked up one WSM from there, but have never sold anything.
Can't wait to see more of your projects. I am hoping to be able to get the that Gen 1
and see what can be done there soon. I haven't forgotten. LOL

Jon way to go now the wife can't really complain about adding to the herd. I have to admit sometimes on these crazy grills you pick up really shaking my head no more I promise between this one and the broil master your having a good year or did you not sell the broil master yet.

Nice, great work Jon, I loved when I would get a full price offer on the day I listed it. Just always made me wonder though if I had priced it to low.
Down in Phoenix this is their grilling season now, temps in the 80s, but noting is moving at all down there. The new Lowes specials or used grills the same ones have been on CL some for months most at least three weeks.
Haven't seen a 1000 in over four months.

Jon way to go now the wife can't really complain about adding to the herd. I have to admit sometimes on these crazy grills you pick up really shaking my head no more I promise between this one and the broil master your having a good year or did you not sell the broil master yet.

Brian,
The almost all new Broilmaster I sold a while back for $500. I am still working on the other larger one. It is a harder one to work on, but I hope to get it finished soon. The prospective buyer is my pastor, so I am only trying for a very modest return over my hard cost. Even so, it has worked out well leaving me with my own third Broilmaster for little or no net cost.

I still hope to surprise you with what I do with that $8 dollar Sunbeam;)! But if I fail, as I mentioned I plan to hang my head and listen to the Who’s song “Won’t get fooled again!”:rolleyes:

I have been getting barraged with inquiries on the TEC grill. It is encouraging me to hope that the market is strong for nice grills. Of course, the TEC is a pretty different animal than a classic Weber, but of the many Webers for sale around here virtually none have been even close to being nicely restored. I hope there are some well healed buyers out there who will swoon over a Genesis with nice wood slats, fresh paint, and a shiny firebox.

Last edited:
Atta boy, Jon. Nice work. No fbmp ad? 80% of my sales are going thru there now.
Around here, Letgo and Offerup are not very popular, especially with anything grilling
related. I picked up one WSM from there, but have never sold anything.
Can't wait to see more of your projects. I am hoping to be able to get the that Gen 1
and see what can be done there soon. I haven't forgotten. LOL

Dave,
Yeah I definitely agree that FB Marketplace has become very important. I can’t bring myself to get my own account:p so that means using my wife’s. I was actually going to post that grill but got the two offers in 15 minutes from Letgo and OfferUp, so I didn’t bother for this one. I do plan to use it on my next sale, and I just bought a Platinum One Touch Kettle there and have my eyes on another kettle. Marketplace has stuff the other sites don’t.

Thanks for mentioning the Genesis I. I hope it will work out when you have time. I want to put it next to my Genesis Platinum and have the beginning and the end of the classic Genesis design.:cool:

I guess I will always be better at collecting than flipping, but I am working on it!;)

I finally got a FB account, but it is bare bones and I all use it for is FB Marketplace, selling and buying. No real personal info in the account. Offer Up and Letgo the other sites are basically worthless for grills around here. I think that if you live in a large metro area, it might be workable, but there just isn't enough participation around where I live.

I guess I should look into doing the same thing regarding FaceBook so my grill thing doesn't become even more of an annoyance to my wife:eek:.

It is funny how these market sites have different followings. So far, I have gotten offers from both OfferUp and Letgo and a pretty persistent inquirer from Craigslist. As I have mentioned before, around here OfferUp seems to be growing rapidly while Craigslist is declining. Letgo seems to be just a "second place" to list things, almost all are double or triple listed also showing up on OfferUp and sometimes CL. I would say that OfferUp has the most grill listings here, but FB has the most interesting ones, for whatever that is worth.

This is what I get when searching "WEBER" on OfferUp with MAX search radius from my home.

JB3DJim.jpg

I get nothing on LetGo. Neither site is very usefull for me although, I do see more during the summer on these sites.

Looks like my Offerup, and I HATE THE AD's!!!!
Say what you will about CL and fbmp, at least they don't
have ad's tricking you.

Craigslist seems to be the “Go To” media outlet around here or, I just don’t care enough to get the app or fool with more media interfaces. I guess I’m almost to the “Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!” stage!

All that aside, GOOD FOR YOU, Jon!

I started to post pictures of screens from my local OfferUp. It took five screens for just “Weber” alone. There are some annoying ads but all kinds of grills from Q’s to Summits. I have actually had some of my best finds under “grill” “bbq” and “Webber”.

Success!

Well, the first buyer from Letgo came through! I got $499 of the $500. Close enough:D. Now onto another flip as soon as I can make time to get it done. If I could keep this going, my wife might actually warm up to my grill addiction!

Well, the first buyer from Letgo came through! I got $499 of the $500. Close enough:D. Now onto another flip as soon as I can make time to get it done. If I could keep this going, my wife might actually warm up to my grill addiction!

Jon: You got $499 for that silver monster? Very cool. What's next?

Back