Trouble wit temps

Cecil

TVWBB Fan
The last three smokes on my 18.5 WSM I have had trouble reaching 225 degrees at the grate level. It would only get up yo 212. I opened all the vents wide open. Still only 212 for the entire cook of baby back ribs. As the cook was coming to an end the temps started to rise to over 300. I was able to complete the cook, just took a little longer and the ribs were fantastic. The last cook was on carport with rain and wind. Put a wind block around the WSM. The two previous cooks the temps were in 80s to90s with no rain or wind. I added more coal mid way through each cook. The first two cooks i used Kingsford blue that was fresh out of the bag although the bag was a couple of years old. Don't know if that has any bearing on it. The last cook was a newly purchased bag of K blue. Any Ideas?

How much charcoal did you use to begin with? What lighting method did you use (standard vs minion)? Are you using a reliable temp gauge?

Need more info. Describe your setup. I cook from 225 to 450 on my WSM. The more Info on your technique the better.

Last edited:
Temp gauge is probably # 1 reason. The installed weber gauge is notoriously inaccurate.

Starting with a 3/4 to a full ring and about 12-15 fully lit (ie they're grey all over) coals, you should get up to at least 225o temp in 40-50 minutes.

Cecil... Did you use water in your WSM's water pan AND was the grate temperature probe located directly above the water pan ?

How much charcoal did you use to begin with? What lighting method did you use (standard vs minion)? Are you using a reliable temp gauge?

I had 3/4 unlit in basket topped with 3/4 lit in Weber chimney Minion method three chunks cherry wood.

Cecil... Did you use water in your WSM's water pan AND was the grate temperature probe located directly above the water pan ?

Had water in pan and had old country thermometer installed at top grate level. I used the maverick the first two cooks and it was consistent with the old country thermometer. Didn't use it on the last cook.

When I used to use Brinkmans ,they stayed outside. I got careless and quit dumping ashes,and they would get wet,and hold moisture. When I would go to use one. I dumped the soggy ashes. Even though 99% got dumped out,there was still soggy sludge and i had problems getting up to temp like you are describing,and also would explain jumping up to 300 towards the end. It doesn't take much moisture,especially using the Minion method. If you are leaving any ashes in your smoker,and there is high humidity the ashes will soak it up.
Sorry,That's the only theory I can come up with.

Last edited:

Back