Thermocouple issue (New user)

Jon Teague

Evening everyone,

I have ordered my Heater Meter and believe I have successfully put it all together. When I first powered it up my LCD screen indicates the pit temp is 6 degrees and the fan is trying to run at 100% as indicated in the build videos. What I can not understand is when I plug in my thermocouple, my pit temp goes to 445 (or so degrees) and will fall when I grab the end of the thermocouple. I checked my solder work on the plug but feel I have got something else wrong. Would anyone have an idea as to why this is and what I can do to resolve it.

By the way I took this project on to learn a new skill and I will say damn you guys are smart! Thanks for the help.

Thermocouple is Perfect Prime TL1004- K-type sensor ordered off Amazon.

JT

Welcome!

Did you set the pit probe to Thermocouple via the web interface?

If the temps are going down when the probe is getting warmer, it's quite possible that the wires on the connector of the thermocouple are backwards. If you have a multimeter that can read millivolts, you can test the thermocouple. At 100C (boiling water temp) you should see ~4 millivolts.

I have not set via web interface. I bet that’s it.

I’ll throw the meter on it when I get home Friday. Thank you!

Ok, so Im at a bind again and have poured over the page http://heatermeter.com/devices/ and have looked at the configuration. My heater meter is sending out at wifi signal but can not get it to show up on the devices page via my att wifi or the heater meter. What the hell am I missing. I am almost positive it has connected before when I finished my build and it was very easy. I have not played with it since as I was making my dampers.

How are you connecting to your heatermeter via wifi? Using the heatermeter network (AP Mode) or is the heatermeter connecting to your main wifi network?

Did you download your SD card image from here and pre-configure your wifi? https://heatermeter.com/dl/

How are you connecting to your heatermeter via wifi? Using the heatermeter network (AP Mode) or is the heatermeter connecting to your main wifi network?

Did you download your SD card image from here and pre-configure your wifi? https://heatermeter.com/dl/

I downloaded and wrote software to sd card with my WiFi information just like video by Bryan. Plugged into my Pi. It booted and my heater meter WiFi was not available. I reset the configuration on heater meter and now can see the heater meter WiFi and my home obviously and can connect to heater meter WiFi. . But nothing shows up on heater meter devices page.

I appologize if this is a huge newbie problem. I know I have to be missing something small

When you reset the config, it probably nuked your wifi settings.

Remove the microUSB card and put it back into your card reader and computer. You'll see a file on the card called config.txt and you should see a #wifi_ssid and #wifi_password line that have the info for your wireless network. Remove the # from the beginning of those 2 lines, eject/umount the microusb card from your computer and pop it back in the RasPi and you should be off to the races.

See here for more info on what I described above.

Steve, I want to thank you for your help on this. Shes up and running just fine now. After checking my login credentials 32 times for my router. I opened up the config.txt and noticed at some point I typed out a G instead of a 6. Man what an idiot.

Back