Got a bad pork belly...

Geo S

TVWBB Super Fan
Last trip to costco bought a belly that was on special, when I opened it, got that funky smell, figured it was from being in the cryovac, washed it off and it seemed ok so into the cure it went. Took it out to smoke today and it wasnt ok, lol, so much for a new batch of bacon...
So the moral of the story is....If you think its even remotely questionable, bring it back, costco dont care and will refund the money or give you a new belly, it was too late for me, no wrapper, or receipt and over a week later..but on the bright side , the pork loin I made into Canadien bacon was fine. :)

I just had a Mexican butcher shop open about a block away. I asked about skin on products, he said they get whole hogs and break them down on site. I can now get anything from a suckling pig through a whole roasting hog! And bellies “skin on”! There are a few things I’d like to try and now, I will have that option!
I can taste the crackling skin already!

...it was too late for me, no wrapper, or receipt and over a week later..

Costco keeps a record of your purchases going back a certain amount of time. This allows you to return items without a receipt. I would go to the Customer Service desk and plead your case and see if they'll give you a refund. They want you to be happy!

I once bought baby back ribs that were funked-out something fierce. I called Costco Customer Service, they said don't bother bringing the rib in, just toss them and come in for a refund.

I have yet to see a pork belly at Costco, that has a sell by date > 2 days from the day I'm there. My suggestion is: If you have an Asian market near you, check them out. I've found that they typically only sell the flat portion (they must ground up the roll section) and it's not nearly expired the day I buy it....(YMMV)

Back