Biggest Turkey that will fit in a wsm?

Huy Vu

I have been tasked to smoke a Turkey for my family this year. I have the 18 inch wsm. What is the biggest Turkey that I could fit in there?

Generally a 12-14# is recommended. There is an old post that one person fit a 23 pound turkey in his cooker, probably did it vertically.

My family does our family reunion on Thanksgiving, so my family is quite large. My aunt asked me to do a 25 lb turkey but I told her I don't think it would fit in my WSM. I did a 13 lb turkey few months ago. I feel like I could fit a slightly bigger one horizontally but with the size of my family, I wonder if I could fit a 20 pounder doing it vertically. I need to find that post that Russel referenced.

Excellent solution, large groups require careful management. You can carve the first one and hold the second for pictures...for a few minutes anyway.
Once again, our Fearless Leader Chris, has supplied a perfect answer! If we dig deeply enough almost all the answers are out “there”!
I’ll be using the kettle again unless someone decides we will fry one, I’d prefer the light smoke on the kettle! Wifey isn’t a heavy smoke fan, her son however simply loves to eat! He’s a great feasting companion!
Huy, take a look at the “Krispy skin” thread, I mention a carving technique which you may or may not know about. It’s a method that has served me well for over thirty years!

Last edited:
Did a 18 poonds turkey on the wsm 18.5 last year. I think it took about 8 hours. It did fit just fine dont recall if i used the upper or lower level.

Back