Creamless Creamy Tomato Soup (ATK)

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I just made this today for lunch (been busy, and now I'm lazy/unproductive) & It Is GOOD. I've probably made it 3-4 times.

I used dried sourdough slices I was saving to make bread crumbs, pretty much as called for otherwise.

Enjoying it with a slice of Mozz & some crackers----- so as fall in coming on, try this if you like Tomato Soup (creamless)

http://www.inpraiseofleftovers.com/blog/2015/11/23/creamless-creamy-tomato-soup

Creamless Creamy Tomato Soup

Serves 6-8. Make sure to purchse canned whole tomatoes in juice, not puree. If half of the soup fills your blender by more than two-thirds, process the soup in 3 batches.

1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
1 bay leaf
2 (28-oz) cans whole tomatoes
3 slices hearty white sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into 1" pieces
1 Tb. packed brown sugar
2 c. chicken broth
2 Tb. brandy (optional)
1/4 c. chopped fresh chives
1 recipe butter croutons (see below)

Heat 2 Tb. oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, if using, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, 3-5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and their juice. Using potato masher, mash until no pieces bigger than 2 inches remain. Stir in bread and sugar. Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until bread is completely saturated and starts to break down, about 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf.

Transfer soup to blender. Add 1 Tb. oil and process until soup is smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and repeat with remaining soup and remaining 1 Tb. oil. Rinse out Dutch oven and return soup to pot. Stir in chicken broth and brandy, if using. return soup to boil and season with salt and pepper to taste.

That looks good!

It's not bad! I had another large bowl with mozz and a chicken patty for lunch today and now it's gone.

The nice thing is how simple the recipe is - you have canned tomatoes & a couple slices of bread, you have a nice soup. I was planning on clam chowder (that's next) but I'd have had to run to the store for that.

Quick, easy, & good - a nice combo.

Back