Using fully lit charcoal chimney

Alex James

Ok so this is my first post, there's some good info on here.

So I read on the VWB site that it is possible to smoke using the standard charcoal method, and still achieve low temperatures (225-275). I wanted to cook some ribs using the standard method, as I just tried the minion method for the first time this past weekend, and I did not like the lighter fluid taste the charcoal gave the ribs. I did not use a water pan, just covered it with foil

So my questions are:

How much charcoal in my chimney do you recommend I start off with to achieve the 225-275 temp range on a WSM 18.5"? And do I need water in the pan?

Also how do I control the temp as far as vents go at the beginning and during the cooking process? Should I start full throttle them adjust gradually to achieve my desired temp, as with minion method? I've read that once the temp gets out of hand it's a lost battle.

And finally, when and if I need to add more lit coals, how much of a chimney do you suggest I add. I'm using Kingsford blue charcoal briquettes

Thanks very much for all your wisdom guys 🤙🤙

Last edited:
When I think of the standard method I associate it with a fully-lit and loaded chimney where--in a WSM--I want to achieve high-heat cooks (say 325*, approximately). If I have the correct understanding of this method, I am not familiar with obtaining low temps.

I keep my pan in the smoker but foil it and do not add water nor other liquids. When my goal is 225-275 I [usually] fully load the charcoal chamber, add 8-12 lit coals, assemble and keep intake and exhaust vents 100% open. Once I'm within 25-35* of my target (approx.) I choke my intakes to about 15-20% open and usually the smoker soon settles at my approximate target temp.

When I add coals I try to catch it so that I add unlit and I just approximate based on how much longer I have to go to complete the smoke.

I don't experience a lighter fluid taste (but I also don't use lighter fluid) but I would agree that on one of my other smokers (or on a WSM if I were to remove the water pan) the effect of juices dripping on hot coals contributes to a different taste. Sometimes I like that difference, at other times I avoid it.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
Welcome to the board. My 2 cents ...

For a new user, I would highly recommend using a foil wrapped water pan. The water
makes it easier to control temps, and just starting out is not the time to do much experimenting.

Full charcoal pan, hollowed out for mininon method - ALWAYS

Not sure why you have lighter fluid taste. Hoping you didn't use lighter fluid,
as that is the whole point of using the chimney. Get some of the Weber charcoal
starter cubes.

Looks like you are in LA- warm there, so I would drop about 15 lit coals in the center
of unlit coals.

Top vent ALWAYS fully open.

Bottom vents fully open until you reach 200, then back to 1/2. You will need to make
a few minor adjustments from there to reach lower or raise to your ideal temp after about
another 30 mins.

If you start out with a full charcoal pan, and smoke in the 200's you should not need to add coals
for about 12 hours or more. Start with a full pan of hot water also. I do not add water, unless I
absolutely must to control temps.

Fletch and Dave have pretty much said what I was going to post so, I will simply say “welcome”

One other thing, use lighter fluid to burn rubbish or fire pit wood fires, get a chimney(full size) and use that instead of Boy Scout excellerant. A couple sheets of newspaper or a Weber cube should offer a better starting solution. Feel free to ask any question that comes to mind.
We will all offer opinions and suggestions by the carload sometimes you need to sift through a ton of information to really find what you need but, it’s worth it.

Thanks guys for the input!!

I should've made it clear that I did use Weber wax cubes to get my coals going, NOT lighter fluid. The food just tasted lighter fluid-y.

I think I will give it another shot with a water pan. I'm new to bullet smokers but on my offset I've smoked everything from briskets to brats without a hiccup. I have heard so many good things about the Smokey mountain I had to try it. The offset is a fuel hog which is why I'm looking for alternatives

Thanks 🤙🤙

Full disclosure, I don’t use the cubes but, I have finally found a practical use for the Kalamazoo Gazette!
I’ve never used water in my pan, I foil it and place a foiled terra cotta plant saucer in that. Works well for me.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Alex. Now we know you're an experienced cook but not with the WSM. I just did ribs on my 18.5 at 275° and I started with my charcoal ring 3/4 full and after 6 hours I still had a good bit of KBB left. Usually I fill it up but that's all I had in an open bag. Too lazy to walk to the shed for more KBB.:wsm: I'm not sure any rule for the WSM is carved in stone. I have closed the top vent to 1/4 on occasions to stop a runaway and my food taste was not compromised. Water in the pan makes it easier to hold low temps - especially on a new WSM. Once you get it gunked up water is needed less. I cook both ways depending on my brain fart before the cook. No rhyme or reason except I decide to do something different. You'll find what works for you. Like Dave I start wide open and throttle back at 200 if my target is 225 and higher for higher cook temps.

Minion method. I use no more than 15 coals unless we have an unusually low temp day. In FL that means in the 30s so I use 20 lit briquettes. I prefer less lit because it's easy to avoid overshoots but takes a tad longer. Enjoy your WSM - it's a great cooker.

Weber must of changed the recipe on those cubes cause my last batch of cubes really smelled like lighter fluid, and that never noticeable in all the years i used them.
But one small cube that smells like lighter fluid shouldn't make your food taste like that.

Tim

I don't think the cubes changed the flavor as I have used the same batch for previous Cooks with no issues.

I'm gonna give it a go with the water pan and see the results and lit coals and see the results. I probably just need more Cooks with this smoker under my belt to get the hang of it

Thanks for the help everyone! 🤙🤙

If you just doing ribs start your WSM early so you can allow time for the coal to burn off the heavier smoke they produce when they are lighting.

Alex, did you wait until the dirty smoke subsided? I fill the bowl with a full load of coal, with a hole in the middle for lit coals. I let themeratue stabilize for at least a half hour, by then there should be no real charcoal smoke. That's when I add wood chunks. When I'm done I close all the vents and most of the charcoal will be available for the next cook.

I think that might have been my mistake now that you mention it. I only waited roughly 20 mins after I dumped the lit coals into the un-lit ones, to throw the ribs on. The smoke did look like if the coals were still catching but I had read on a forum here that it's ok?? If have to look around again to find that direct quote as I don't remember how I came across it

The way I have done it from the beginning is put a tin coffee can with both ends cut out in the center of the charcoal ring. Pour plenty of charcoal between the ring and coffee can leaving the can empty. Put about a dozen coals in the chimney. Get them lit and glowing red,and pour them in the coffee can. Then take a pair of channel locks and pull out the coffee can. Put the smoker together,and bring it up to temp. It's usually only 15 or 20 minutes before it's ready to go after pulling out the coffee can. For a short cook like ribs once they are done and you close all the vents the fire goes out fairly quickly. So there really isn't much waste if you put in too much charcoal. I have had several rib cooks where the briquettes to the outside edge towards the charcoal ring never got lit. I havn't had any problems with charcoal starter taste. I do add chunks of wood to the center of the fire as I go though. That way I kind of have some control as to how much wood gets burnt. If you just mix it in with the charcoal,there is a chance it might not get burnt. Works for me anyway.:)

Hey Fred. This is the method that I want to use when I attempt my first cook on my 22.5" WSM in a few days time. I have a large coffee tin that I want to use. It's 6" in diameter. I'm hoping that this diameter isn't too wide?

Last edited:
Sam, I think you should be just fine, just make sure to have extra coal on hand. You may or may not need it but, better safe than, sorry.

Hey Fred. This is the method that I want to use when I attempt my first cook on my 22.5" WSM in a few days time. I have a large coffee tin that I want to use. It's 6" in diameter. I'm hoping that this diameter isn't too wide?

6" is the size I use. When I was growing up we called them #10 cans. As long as the coals you pour in are fully lit and glowing red you will be fine.
It will slowly light the outer coals as needed once pulling the can out.

1) Use the Weber firestart or whatever they call it. Is about $15 to $20 at the hardware store. I always use two crumpled pieces of newspaper at the bottom. I use a lighter to light the newspapers. It works great.
2) The charcoal briquettes do not get the Kingsford that already has lighterfluid in it. Lowes sometimes has the Weber briquettes in the 20 pounds bag for $11, or any other quality briquettes that have not been soaked in lighter fluid.
3) The WSM is efficient but the briquettes need to be good quality for good results.

Last edited:
i am by no means an expert and i've only had my 18.5 for 3 weeks. On Saturday I smoked a rack of ribs to experiment for an upcoming holiday party. I have smoked on only 4 different occasions and I find my WSM very consistent with temps. I use lump charcoal; one full lit chimney. I let that burn for 15-20 then dump in the smoker. I then finish filling my charcoal ring to the top and assemble the smoker. I do put water in the pan. Within an hour I'm at 250 or so degrees. The ribs on Saturday were by far the best ribs I've ever eaten (so good, I bought two more racks for Sunday). I cooked for 2.5 hours; meat side up. Then I wrapped them in tin foil and put some special seasonings :) and cooked for another hour! Delicious ribs.....On Sunday I had some difficulty getting the temperature up (after looking back at it I didn't let the chimney get hot enough and then put too many unlit pieces in and I think it snuffed the fire). I then lit a full chimney and let it get good and hot then added to the smoker. I might be addicted. Smoking again this weekend.....then at Christmas....looking to do a prime rib, any suggestions???

Back