The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using fully lit charcoal chimney

TVWBB Super Fan
    If you just doing ribs start your WSM early so you can allow time for the coal to burn off the heavier smoke they produce when they are lighting.
    18.5 WSM. 22.5 OTS

Alex, did you wait until the dirty smoke subsided? I fill the bowl with a full load of coal, with a hole in the middle for lit coals. I let themeratue stabilize for at least a half hour, by then there should be no real charcoal smoke. That's when I add wood chunks. When I'm done I close all the vents and most of the charcoal will be available for the next cook.

I think that might have been my mistake now that you mention it. I only waited roughly 20 mins after I dumped the lit coals into the un-lit ones, to throw the ribs on. The smoke did look like if the coals were still catching but I had read on a forum here that it's ok?? If have to look around again to find that direct quote as I don't remember how I came across it

TVWBB Member
    The way I have done it from the beginning is put a tin coffee can with both ends cut out in the center of the charcoal ring. Pour plenty of charcoal between the ring and coffee can leaving the can empty. Put about a dozen coals in the chimney. Get them lit and glowing red,and pour them in the coffee can. Then take a pair of channel locks and pull out the coffee can. Put the smoker together,and bring it up to temp. It's usually only 15 or 20 minutes before it's ready to go after pulling out the coffee can. For a short cook like ribs once they are done and you close all the vents the fire goes out fairly quickly. So there really isn't much waste if you put in too much charcoal. I have had several rib cooks where the briquettes to the outside edge towards the charcoal ring never got lit. I havn't had any problems with charcoal starter taste. I do add chunks of wood to the center of the fire as I go though. That way I kind of have some control as to how much wood gets burnt. If you just mix it in with the charcoal,there is a chance it might not get burnt. Works for me anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12