Chicken and sausage gumbo

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame

It's finally cooled down around here so I figure it was time for come chicken and andouille gumbo

I used some of my homemade andouille

Getting that roux right.

I had some chicken breast in freezer so I decided to grill it up for some extra flavor.

Fired up the Genesis.

Finished chicken.

Gumbo almost done. I used some homemade stock I had in the freezer.

Over some rice.

This turned out great! I prefer to use a whole chicken but this is just what I had in the freezer. Thanks for looking!

Love me some gumbo.
Please share your roux recipe.
(I hope it does not involve standing at the stove
stirring round and round for 45 minutes.)

I just do half and half vegetable oil and flour and yes it involves stirring for 45 minutes! It probably actually takes closer to 25. Yes, I know there are easier methods.

That's just gorgeous, Dustin! The color on that roux is PERFECT! Needs to cool down a bit more here, but I will have to hit you up for some gumbo tips down the road!

R

Yes, I know there are easier methods.

What are the easier methods you refer to?
I read once of an oven method but never tried it.
We used to make up about 3 gallons of seafood gumbo once a year,
but the roux was always a chore, and the last batch ended up running
almost $150. I love to find an easier way to make it.

Care to share your recipe for the anduille? That really looks good. Ive never made gumbo.

What are the easier methods you refer to?
I read once of an oven method but never tried it.
We used to make up about 3 gallons of seafood gumbo once a year,
but the roux was always a chore, and the last batch ended up running
almost $150. I love to find an easier way to make it.

I know of the oven method and I believe there is a microwave method that Michelle in New Orleans posted at one point but I can't find it.

Jim,
This thread has the andouille sausage recipe I used along with some suggestions for improvements such as using red wine as the liquid and actual garlic. I used garlic and onion powder.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?72260-Andouille-Sausage-Making&highlight=andouille

That gumbo looks just dandy! Need to try your way of doing it. Have been using a recipe by Emeril Lagasse that could be improved upon.

And def want to make some Andouille.

Thanks for the post, Dustin.

I just do half and half vegetable oil and flour and yes it involves stirring for 45 minutes! It probably actually takes closer to 25. Yes, I know there are easier methods.

There may be “easier” but, the results of the old style stand and stir method are a known quantity! I go darker generally than yours is but, I don’t have your andouille!

That gumbo looks just dandy! Need to try your way of doing it. Have been using a recipe by Emeril Lagasse that could be improved upon.

And def want to make some Andouille.

Thanks for the post, Dustin.

I use one of Emerils recipes too but have tweaked it from the original. Having some of that fabulous andouille would be a big improvement!

Can't say I've had gumbo as okra is available here but not something I've tried. I assume you did?

Glad it turned out great for you however :D

Can't say I've had gumbo as okra is available here but not something I've tried. I assume you did?

Glad it turned out great for you however :D

Okra is a debated ingredient for sure. I've used it in the past but don't typically use it now even though I had fresh okra on hand. I enjoy it, but my wife doesn't. Usually if you see filé in the gumbo you won't see okra. Sometimes you see both!

Looks good! We were also waiting for some cool weather and turned out a huge pot of chicken and sausage gumbo about that same time.

Roux: For those asking for easier ways, there are jarred roux products by Savoie's, Kary's, and some others. Folks also make it in the oven or even microwave (follow instructions carefully to stay out of ER). An article in the New Orleans paper brought in many methods, and debates about same.

I'm on a Louisiana cooking board, and many of the even serious cooks on there confess to using the jar roux. They work well. I like to slowly "melt" the thick jar roux down, and even add some oil, to make it thin enough to saute' my trinity (onion, bell pepper, celery) in it before whisking in chicken stock. No better smell than a bunch of diced onions cooking in roux.

Sometimes I go old school, but I mainly use the dark Savoie's brand jar roux.

Back