Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upcoming Big Cook - Two Questions

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Some guys have all the luck!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Wow! You guys have some serious vacuum sealer tastes!

How about a recommendation for an entry level?
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy F. Lewis View Post
    I understand a certain need for a vacuum sealer but, WOW boys, that’s pretty serious stuff! I’m seconding Tim’s entry level request!
    I've purchased a little better food saver after my entry level one died. What I like about this one is it's a continues duty one. We just got done bagging 36 bags of sliced bacon. With this model it doesn't need a cool down cycle every few bags like my old one did. I've had it for a year and a half and probably sealed well over a thousand bags with no issues. Another plus is it has a 12v cord so you can run off a battery out in the field if camping.

For $130 I think it's a bargin.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...C4KJS0/tvwb-20
    Last edited by Rich Dahl; 10-24-2018 at 12:26 PM.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    As much as I’d like the high volume, mass bag sucker, I can’t justify the expense.
    If I got the great deal above? Maybe.
    For my purposes, Rich has made a more “reasonable” choice!
    Thanks Rich.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy F. Lewis View Post
    As much as I’d like the high volume, mass bag sucker, I can’t justify the expense.
    If I got the great deal above? Maybe.
    For my purposes, Rich has made a more “reasonable” choice!
    Thanks Rich.

yeah. I doubt I would have paid anywhere close to retail for mine. Another nice thing about the one Rich posted is that I believe it eliminates one step in the making of bags. On my old one, it had a roll holder, but you had to spool out whatever length you wanted. Cut it. Then stick one end into the slot to seal. I think on that one, you can pull to length, close the lid, seal and then cut. Not a big deal when only doing one or two bags, but its a really nice feature when doing multiple bags.
    Ranch Kettle x 2, MiniRanch Gen2 Performer , SS Performer , OTG , OTS, Red MBH, JJ, SJS, Summit 650, Genesis Silver C , Genesis Gold C

Now I feel guilty

Using the chamber to seal soup and chili this week was a real treat. And the 16" bar on the external sealer is quite convenient. I could never get the hang of sealing the FS pleated bags if I wanted to seal a whole chicken or a roast. But I certainly understand the cost on the others is very high. Whatever you choose, if you go with one of the 11" sealers I would recommend ordering the generic bags from Amazon as opposed to buying the FS brand.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I'll *NEVER* buy anything labelled FoodSaver ever again. If nothing else, their customer service is completely non-existent. After having 2 FoodSavers fail on me, I bought an Ari Vacmaster 260 that's outlasted both FoodSavers together, and pretty much never blinks.

I've been buying bags & rolls from WebstaurantStore.com (somebody here pointed me that way a year ago, and I've spent quite a bit there since.) Good material and economical. It's cheap enough that I find myself just using the premade bags (quarts & pints) rather than the bigger-than-I-should-have-bought roll material.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123