Cleaning Clear Gloss High Temperature Paint

Mark B in STL

TVWBB Member
I have not used a clear gloss paint on a Q. Does it clean easily? Would it be helpful to add clear gloss to a new 2200 or 3200 hood to avoid the staining that can happen over the side vents? I have not found a method to clean off the dark staining that can occur after heavy use to the off white hood.

That is an interesting question. My first reaction is that the factory finish is going to be easier to clean than anything you or I can spray paint on. But, I have never tested or experimented.

I guess I accept a little bit of smoke stain around the vents. Grease runoff, I think, is more about getting it off as soon as possible. Eventually, if you want it to look almost new you will have to paint. At least then you can pick a new color;)! Check out Bruce’s posts of his stunning gloss red and also a copper tone!

Yah, if you use a gloss or any other high temp paint, you probably won't want to get too aggressive on the cleaning. The factory paint is much more durable than any aftermarket rattle can paint you could use. But, even that Weber factory paint will deteriorate after a while and start to peel and flake.
That is where the rattle can high heat paint comes in. You might just have to redo it every few years to keep it looking really nice though.

xdEXKlZ.jpg

No, that is probably not something I would do. Just keep it covered/sheltered. Sun (UV) rays are the biggest issue with the paint on Q grills breaking down.

The factory "paint" is powder coat. Much more durable than solvent based paints. BTW Eastwood.com sells complete powder coating kits and they work well. Also if you wanted to you could look for metal finishers in the area and ask about doing powder coat. I checked on doing some KitchenAid parts and it was quite reasonable

Not powder coated, just some kind of paint. Paint on mine was always soft. Developed dimples and some blisters. Weber sent me a new lid. Still in the box. Odd that the damage stopped progressing soon as I got the new lid.

Believe what you will but those lids ARE powder coated. PC has a distinctive look and seeing it for so many years of my life (my dad worked in the industry) I can spot it a mile away. Your lid may have had material defects (aluminum requires a very special prep) and that may not have been done properly. Also I even saw a video of Q's being made and it was obvious they're powder coated.
Many factories are using PC because of emission laws on solvents and such. But the Q is PC

Well, I guess it's junk pc cuz I have seen others and no way is that pc. I have seen real pc and the weber stuff is not it on the q's. Way to many issues for it to be. Plus folks are removing it to easily to be pc. And again, if it is pc then it is total junk.

It is not high quality but it is PC. Like anything there are way too many cost cutting things they do. Solvent based painting is becoming less and less common especially due to pollution issues. Also PC product is cheaper as the factories that use it recycle it. My dad's plant would collect the "overspray" and recycle it. But again there are different qualities of PC. Look at a KitchenAid mixer. That finish is nearly as hard as porcelain but it's PC same as the Q lid BUT much higher quality material. When I restored my old 1967 Moto Guzzi so many years ago. My dad had his company do many of the main pieces for me in PC. People who saw it could not believe how hard that finish was on the fenders, tank, side panels and so on.
Here it is again That paint job was a thing of beauty. Many hours of work. The side panels on that tank, the valve covers and much more of what looks like chrome were hand polished aluminum. Yes by HAND and a tub of Simichrome my hands hurt to this day :D
MJIpqNe.jpg

How is Powder coating with heat. Would it withstand the temps experienced on a fire box?

Sure would. After all it withstands to temps on the Q lid. Arguably not that well though but IMO it's more an indication of Weber not using quality materials to coat it.

What is the stuff on the outside of Silver B's and 1000's. It isn't normal paint?

You mean the lid? That is porcelain. Basically that is glass fused to the metal. The steel is heated until cherry red hot. Glass powder is poured/sprinkled over it and it immediately melts and fuses to the steel

Well prior to them going to China I would bet they used a powder coat finish. EPA is really cracking down on solvent based painting and powder is much easier to control because no VOC's no flammability issues, overspray is MUCH easier to control, heck they can even recycle the overspray. Since going to China where they don't care what they do to the environment my guess is they use the easiest cheapest methods available

Back