Dry Rub Help...

A. Vale

TVWBB Fan
I purchased a dry rub from a local grocery store that I really like. I'm hoping to create something similar and was hoping that this group could guide me with typical ratios for rubs. The ingredients in order are:
  • Brown sugar
  • Flake salt
  • Ground ancho chili
  • Pepper (not sure what this would be seeing as black pepper is listed later)
  • Coriander
  • Smoked paprika
  • Black pepper
  • Cumin
  • Cayenne pepper
I've tried it on ribs, pork butt and chicken and really like it. While brown sugar is the first ingredient it doesn't seem to burn. Thanks in advance!

I know this may sound a little weird, but when I have made rubs I use pretty much equal parts of ingredients and than taste. I adjust amounts up until I get the taste and aroma I am after. However.................I have also found sometimes going through the trouble is just not worth it. I stumbled onto a line of rubs from Weber and honestly have found I really cannot make a better one and even if I did it would cost me more to make it than just buy it

A.,

I've got some info for you, but it's going to take two days to find it and post it. Hang on...

In the meantime, hopefully others will offer their approach to rub ratios, if they've got one.

Chris

I found what I was looking for, from Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ Sauces.

1 cup sugars: white, brown (light or dark), sugar in the raw

1 cup salts: seasoned, garlic, celery, onion, hickory, smoked, kosher, table salt

1/3 to 1/2 cup paprika

2 - 4 Tablespoons chili powder or seasoning

2 - 4 Tablespoons black pepper

Other spices: Use 1 teaspoon or less: you name it...dry mustard, granulated onion, granulated garlic, crushed red pepper, cumin, ginger, jalapeno powder, lemon pepper, MSG, coriander, cinnamon, celery seeds, thyme, white pepper, oregano, worcestershire powder, etc. etc.

What a great starting point - thanks Chris! Anyone have a guess what the “pepper” ingredient could be seeing that black pepper and cayenne pepper are listed later on in the list?

What a great starting point - thanks Chris! Anyone have a guess what the “pepper” ingredient could be seeing that black pepper and cayenne pepper are listed later on in the list?

I'm confused. What are you referring to? I don't see any "pepper" listed above "black pepper".

I purchased a dry rub from a local grocery store that I really like. I'm hoping to create something similar and was hoping that this group could guide me with typical ratios for rubs. The ingredients in order are:
  • Brown sugar
  • Flake salt
  • Ground ancho chili
  • Pepper (not sure what this would be seeing as black pepper is listed later)
  • Coriander
  • Smoked paprika
  • Black pepper
  • Cumin
  • Cayenne pepper
I've tried it on ribs, pork butt and chicken and really like it. While brown sugar is the first ingredient it doesn't seem to burn. Thanks in advance!

Here is what I would do:
Brown sugar 1 Cup
KOSHER salt 1 Cup
Ground ancho chili 1/4 cup
RED PEPPER FLAKES 2 tsp
Coriander 2 TBLS
Smoked paprika 1/4 cup
Black pepper 3 TBLS
Cumin 3 TBLS
Cayenne pepper 1 tsp

The only other pepper that the mystery could be is white pepper, which is fine, but I think it is probably red pepper flakes.

Also I would think about getting more flavorings in there:

garlic powder 2 TBLS
onion powder 1/4 Cup
oregano ( or marjoram) 2 TBLS
rubbed sage 3 TBLS <--- especially if this rub goes onto pork, which goes well with sage
mustard powder 2 TBLS
whatever else floats your boat

I personally make my own spice blends. I find most pre-made strore bought blends to be lacking in character and strength.

Thanks - I'll try that. My guess is that you are right about the red pepper flakes as I didn't see a lot of white color in the rub (other than the salt flakes). I agree on making my own rubs but I didn't have time for one smoke and grabbed something at the local market and really liked it. Thanks!

I use much more black pepper than most of the recipes posted here. I'm satisfied with the rubs I make, but I'm always up for something different - maybe on my next cook!

Ok, I resized the recipe so that it is 25% - to experiment. The color looked different so I doubled the suggested ancho and smoked paprika. Going to use it on some pork tonight and will report back...

Brown sugar 1/4 Cup
KOSHER salt 1/8 Cup (I cut back on the salt, as you can always add more directly to the meat)
Ground ancho chili 2 Tbsp
RED PEPPER FLAKES 1/2 tsp
Coriander 1 1/2 tsp
Smoked paprika 2 Tbsp
Black pepper 2 1/4 tsp
Cumin 2 1/4 tsp
Cayenne pepper 1/4 tsp

So the family really enjoyed the rub. Adding extra salt to the meat afterwards didn't enhance it much - so I think the salt levels are fine. A few things to consider next time - reduce the black pepper a bit and my wife suggested trying lemon salt vs. kosher salt next time. Fun to experiment and at the smaller amounts, makes it possible to explore without being stuck with a huge amount of rub to be used up. Thanks everyone!

Back