Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry Rub Help...

Quote Originally Posted by Len Dennis View Post
    I beieve he's referring to HIS first post Chris, not your recipe.
    Oh. Sorry. Thanks.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Vale View Post
    I purchased a dry rub from a local grocery store that I really like. I'm hoping to create something similar and was hoping that this group could guide me with typical ratios for rubs. The ingredients in order are:
    • Brown sugar
    • Flake salt
    • Ground ancho chili
    • Pepper (not sure what this would be seeing as black pepper is listed later)
    • Coriander
    • Smoked paprika
    • Black pepper
    • Cumin
    • Cayenne pepper

I've tried it on ribs, pork butt and chicken and really like it. While brown sugar is the first ingredient it doesn't seem to burn. Thanks in advance!

Here is what I would do:
    Brown sugar 1 Cup
    KOSHER salt 1 Cup
    Ground ancho chili 1/4 cup
    RED PEPPER FLAKES 2 tsp
    Coriander 2 TBLS
    Smoked paprika 1/4 cup
    Black pepper 3 TBLS
    Cumin 3 TBLS
    Cayenne pepper 1 tsp

The only other pepper that the mystery could be is white pepper, which is fine, but I think it is probably red pepper flakes.

Also I would think about getting more flavorings in there:

garlic powder 2 TBLS
    onion powder 1/4 Cup
    oregano ( or marjoram) 2 TBLS
    rubbed sage 3 TBLS <--- especially if this rub goes onto pork, which goes well with sage
    mustard powder 2 TBLS
    whatever else floats your boat

I personally make my own spice blends. I find most pre-made strore bought blends to be lacking in character and strength.

TVWBB Fan
    Thanks - I'll try that. My guess is that you are right about the red pepper flakes as I didn't see a lot of white color in the rub (other than the salt flakes). I agree on making my own rubs but I didn't have time for one smoke and grabbed something at the local market and really liked it. Thanks!

TVWBB Pro
    I use much more black pepper than most of the recipes posted here. I'm satisfied with the rubs I make, but I'm always up for something different - maybe on my next cook!
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers...and stuff

TVWBB Fan
    Ok, I resized the recipe so that it is 25% - to experiment. The color looked different so I doubled the suggested ancho and smoked paprika. Going to use it on some pork tonight and will report back...

Brown sugar 1/4 Cup
    KOSHER salt 1/8 Cup (I cut back on the salt, as you can always add more directly to the meat)
    Ground ancho chili 2 Tbsp
    RED PEPPER FLAKES 1/2 tsp
    Coriander 1 1/2 tsp
    Smoked paprika 2 Tbsp
    Black pepper 2 1/4 tsp
    Cumin 2 1/4 tsp
    Cayenne pepper 1/4 tsp

TVWBB Fan
    So the family really enjoyed the rub. Adding extra salt to the meat afterwards didn't enhance it much - so I think the salt levels are fine. A few things to consider next time - reduce the black pepper a bit and my wife suggested trying lemon salt vs. kosher salt next time. Fun to experiment and at the smaller amounts, makes it possible to explore without being stuck with a huge amount of rub to be used up. Thanks everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12